• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete Exhaust kit

If you're doing things on your own, you just have to be meticulous with your measurements and dimensions...especially if you're looking for aftermarket or performance upgrades.

OEM replacement parts will bolt right up...obviously.

If you go ahead and order a nice cat back kit, a free flow cat of some kind, and a decent set of headers, any reputable shop will gladly fit everything together for you...for a price. This option isn't for everyone, but it's a great way to avoid a lot of headache.

If you're doing things on your own, you just have to be meticulous with your measurements and dimensions...especially if you're looking for aftermarket or performance upgrades.

OEM replacement parts will bolt right up...obviously.

If you go ahead and order a nice cat back kit, a free flow cat of some kind, and a decent set of headers, any reputable shop will gladly fit everything together for you...for a price. This option isn't for everyone, but it's a great way to avoid a lot of headache.

That would probable be the best way to go, but this summer has been really slow work wise and I just bought a lift kit so I'm pretty short on cash.

One thing I've learned is to not let money dictate the quality of parts or service you go with. Take your time, save your money, do things right, and know your limits.

After all, there's nothing worse than the feeling you get when you realize you're in over your head.

One thing I've learned is to not let money dictate the quality of parts or service you go with. Take your time, save your money, do things right, and know your limits.

After all, there's nothing worse than the feeling you get when you realize you're in over your head.
X2 Get the components yourself and take it to a shop. I was lucky i knew a mechanic so he cut me a deal. But i took him all the components. Rustys has good prices on exhaust stuff. If money is tight you might want to just get a cat back, but DON'T skimp. trust me, if you do you're just going to replace it later after it gives you problems.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=per

That should give you an idea price wise.

I'm not gonna skimp on parts. If it takes longer to get her where I want her then oh well.
Can you guys suggest some good exaust system manufactures? I know Borla makes good stuff but they don't seem to have anything for the 1997-1999 XJ's.
How are Magnaflow, Gibson, Dynomax....etc?

I have a Gibson on one 98 xj, fits perfect.
I have a Dynomax on the other, fits except for lift shackle.

The Dynomax is quiet, Gibson a little louder and I removed a Flowmaster that was too loud.

I absolutley love my setup, and it was mostly by accident.

I started off with Rusty's cat back kit with the Flowmaster 40. It sounded good, but I wouldn't have minded a bit louder. Then during inspection time, I found out they wouldn't pass it due to a cracked exhaust manifold. So rather than spend the $200 going with an OEM replacement, I got a set of Pacesetter full-length headers (because the kit comes with everything from head to cat)...and a free flow cat.

Needless to say, the day I went to pick her up, I was blown away. At idle, it literally sounds like I have a small block under the hood.

Awesome, awesome stuff...Flowmaster and Pacesetter.

Borla may make the most complete set up but your looking at $1000 for it...

They make a Header down pipe combo and then a Cat back that runs for about 750 i think...
And then just get a High Flow Cat (Magnaflow makes a good kit) and then have a shop weld the pieces together (on a note with the welding, don't weld the whole thing, its nice to have a few pieces bolt together so it can be taken apart with out having to be cut.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/99993_022.htm

I have a Gibson on one 98 xj, fits perfect.
I have a Dynomax on the other, fits except for lift shackle.

The Dynomax is quiet, Gibson a little louder and I removed a Flowmaster that was too loud.

I absolutley love my setup, and it was mostly by accident.

I started off with Rusty's cat back kit with the Flowmaster 40. It sounded good, but I wouldn't have minded a bit louder. Then during inspection time, I found out they wouldn't pass it due to a cracked exhaust manifold. So rather than spend the $200 going with an OEM replacement, I got a set of Pacesetter full-length headers (because the kit comes with everything from head to cat)...and a free flow cat.

Needless to say, the day I went to pick her up, I was blown away. At idle, it literally sounds like I have a small block under the hood.

Awesome, awesome stuff...Flowmaster and Pacesetter.

Do you guys see much of a power increase?

you dont have the Mini-cats on the manifold do you??

IIRC this one should work on 99's also....
http://www.quadratec.com/products/77601_802_07.htm
But some one else will have to confirm. Banks are also very close in design from Borla.

I recently have done a Complete replace, APN header, Walker Down pipe, customer flex connector going to 2.5" all the way back into a Magnaflow high flow cat and a Supper 44 Flowmaster.

It was by no means a bolt together kit, Had a few things welded, had a few things custom bent, etc. But I like it and think the sound it just right. I think there has been some performance gains but most things like an exhaust system or intake you talking about less then 10HP and can not be felt by a but dyno... You are allowing the motor to flow better so you are taking a stress of the motor, you will be freeing up power any time you do that, some you can feel, some you can tell (better idle, better peddle response) most its the perception and you think its faster so it appears to be faster.

Do you guys see much of a power increase?

It definitely livened things up a bit. Most notable power came in around 3000 rpms. I was so used to it bogging that the first time I went up a steep grade, it felt like I was running boost, haha.

..but for all intensive purposes, I doubt the actual hp or tq gains are significant. But hey, at least it sounds more powerful...:dunce:

Back