• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Sour Grapes build thread

HeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone,

Pretty new to the forum, but have decided to take the plunge into the world of off-roading. I've had a Jeep XJ for 8 or 9 years now and I recently was given the opportunity to fix a 1997 XJ and keep it...for free.

Can't argue with that. So here's how she sits after cleaning her up:

5888_750233803317_3610222_43467759_607146_n.jpg

So far I've cleaned out the engine compartment, tracked down a wire short that turned out to be the dome light wires, put in a CD player, changed out necessary fluids, ditched the idiot gauges for some informative ones like temp, oil pressure and fuel.

On Monday I ordered a Rubicon Express 6300 kit. The 5.5'' Long Arm Heavy Duty suspension. This will be matched with some Cragar soft 8 steelies at 15x8 and some 33x10.5 BFG All-Terrains.

Then I will be adding a custom front tube winch bumper with D-rings and light tabs. A custom rear tube bumper with receiver hitch and 2 D-ring tabs. Rock sliders on the side. Finally (in a few more months) I'll add on an exo cage since I plan to sometimes run some Jeepspeed speeds..:wave:

...and let's not forget to add on skid plates wherever possible when my bank account recovers LOL

I'll post up soon with the results of the lift and bumpers/sliders/tires/rims combo before adding lights and more body armor.

looks like its gonna be fun...

You should get some bumper/trim paint from Autozone and freshin up those flares and the buper aswell if youre gonna have it for a while.

Keep us posted! :).

I am however looking for places and quotes for installing all this stuff. So far

4wheel parts: $1900 for lift, SYE, shaft & gears
MeandDadoffroad: $600 for lift + $100 for SYE & Shaft (no word yet on gears)
WellbiltKustoms: waiting to hear back
Zach's fab and welding: $30/hr for everything BUT gears (on my own for gears).

any ideas? Dare I even mention a "wrenching party"....we do them for my motorcycle club so it's worth a shot.

If you havent already ordered the soft 8 s and you arent set on em, I got a set of AR alum wheels.

If you havent already ordered the soft 8 s and you arent set on em, I got a set of AR alum wheels.

bummer - I ordered 5 off of Summit Racing for $40 per wheel...not a bad deal with free shipping!

Garret, bring your gears to me and I will put your lift and SYE on for some carne asada and newcastle.

I'll email you ;) I like carne asade and Newcastle even more!

Back