• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock slider poll

Sliders with or without outer tubes

• With outer tubes

Votes: 104 80.0%
  • Without outer tubes

Votes: 26 20.0%

• Total voters

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a set of sliders for my '98. Want your opinions.

With outer tube/step (AKA: Supersliders or Stage II)

Without outer tube (Just the slider tucked up under the rocker)

Thanks.

On my 98 XJ, Kyung made a set of 2x4 rails that tucked under the rockers. I liked them, because they were very inconspicuous.

On the MJ, Billy made me some rails with the outer tube. The tube doesn't stick out very far. In fact, Billy said that they stick out the least of any rails he's ever made. But they work well and I like the way they look.

Sorry Chris, I'm not much help. I've had both and liked both. But I suppose for the most protection, an outer tube would be better.

I got mine from aj, without the tubes. Im still running mine without, but may add it later. I've been fine without it, but many of my shorter friends would like it as a step into the back.

I havent experienced winter with outer tubes,may prove too suck

I like the added protection of the added tube

The outer tubes make a great pivot point to get around rocks and trees on a tight section of trail without smashing in your doors. What's the downside of having them? I guess maybe a little harder to build if you're making them yourself, but well worth the effort if you ask me.

What's the downside of having them?

I don't remember who, but somebody here said he didn't like them because everytime he got out of his truck they would hit the back of his calves and he was getting tired of it.

Really the only reason I would want them is as a step to get stuff in/out of the roof rack. But I would think they would have to stick out pretty far to be any good for that.

I have AJ's superrails and wouldn't have it any other way.

They've saved my doors from countless rocks/trees by being able to just pivot around them.

Thanks for the poll, I've been wondering about this myself.

I highly recommend doing this:
http://madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/SRrockerPanels/RockerPanels.htm

A buddy I wheel with just did it on his rig for about $100 in material, and worked GREAT as we were playing in a large rock garden, and sticks out just far enough to provide good protection for the lower doors
CIMG5061.jpg

After seeing how easy this is, and how cheep it can be done for, I'm going to be doing this very shortly after fitting the Jeep with 33's, I would do it sooner, but want to make sure I trim enough first.

Last edited:
Because you have the fabrication to build rocker gaurds, I wouldn't build them at all!!! What I would reccomend is to cut out your stock rockers and replace them with some 1/4 inch 2x3. It isn't that difficult of a mod, and it allows for a lot more clearance and the same strength.
The reason I am reccomending this is because I have AJs sliders and they were great. Unfortunately I had them off becuase of the frame stiffener upgrade. While offroading saturday I smashed my rocker:rolleyes:. So now I am going to replace my rocker panels for three reasons A my panel is smashed B Its more ground clearance any way C Fitment of my AJs sliders with unibody stiffners would make for a bad fit.

Anyways here is a link to the rocker replacement. http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/SRrockerPanels/RockerPanels.htm
That is the simplest one, there are some more comlicated ones as well.

If you go ahead with building rocker gaurds, I would reccomend the rails. They kept me off the trees once and saved my ass when I got hit.

I highly recommend doing this:
http://madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/SRrockerPanels/RockerPanels.htm

A buddy I wheel with just did it on his rig for about $100 in material, and worked GREAT as we were playing in a large rock garden, and sticks out just far enough to provide good protection for the lower doors

After seeing how easy this is, and how cheep it can be done for, I'm going to be doing this very shortly after fitting the Jeep with 33's, I would do it sooner, but want to make sure I trim enough first.
HA lol, great minds think alike, I guess I was writing mine as you posted yours.

I don't remember who, but somebody here said he didn't like them because everytime he got out of his truck they would hit the back of his calves and he was getting tired of it.

Really the only reason I would want them is as a step to get stuff in/out of the roof rack. But I would think they would have to stick out pretty far to be any good for that.
and a sweaty leg grips the hot tube when you are getting out, almost ripped skin!

I have AJ's Superrails and I LOVE them. With 3.75 back spacing they are pretty much paralel with the tires and work great for keeping me off of Rocks. Not to mention being able to use them to stand on to get stuff on and off of my roof rack.

At the same time - I LOVE the rocker replacement idea. I agree - if you have the tools and know how, it's a great option. I don't have the write up but there is a poster named EricsXJ who did a SICK job on his rocker replacement. I believe he used 2x6, completely sealed them and they double as air tanks.

I know - not much help but throwing reasons behind why I like each set up is always good to read when making these decisions.

Good Luck and keep us up to date on your build.

I built mine with the outer tube, so I could use it as a step, and once I have a roof rack I will be able to get to it. I also think it would help save my doors in a tight situation.

im pretty sure i was the crybaby complaining about the outer tubes....
such a whiner....

i'd go with the tubes, it keeps the rocks that much further away, plus you can pivot around stuff...

as far as mall crawlin, they make it very easy to strap a ladder to the roofrack, or wash the roof... etc etc etc.... didnt notice this untill i had to strap a ladder down, and wash the truck WITHOUT them...

Back