• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ seat install, front and rear. Write-up and pics.

Very nice writeup!

hey man, i know this was a while ago but, i was wondering do those seats have heaters? and did you wire them if they did?

Mine are not wired for heat, but I know it can be done. I've seen others who have wired them, I know when I was searching for info on installing the seats I found a couple of threads documenting it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44956

Aside from some pics showing ZJ heater switches mounted in an XJ console that were in an older thread (which I haven't been able to find), and this link, there's not much information on what it takes to make them work. I didn't have access to a ZJ FSM to ever figure out how they worked, so I never messed with mine beyond making the power adjustments work. I think an aftermarket heater retrofit would be a lot simpler.

Can someone tell me if ZJ front seats will bolt on to my 96 seat bases or do I need to make brackets?

Had a quick question about the seat height. I am in the process or rebuilding my 88 XJ and have a complete 94ZJ Donor that has the luxury leather seating package in it. I really like the seats in it, but my worry is the seat height. I am about 6'2" or so and with the XJ seats I am fine. I am no worried about the rear seats at all as it is my XJ therefore I will be driving all the time lol. I am just concerned as to how much it will add to the overall height of the seats if you or anyone here who has done this might happen to know? I am completely re-doing the floors so it is quite possible that I could just build a small recess into the floor for the mounting brackets if that might help... Any ideas? Thanks for an awesome write up by the way!

Paint

Probably the best way to go about it is the same way my buddy did it (he's 6'3") which is to cut out approximately 1.5" out of the seat brackets and weld back together.

Otherwise you'll be sitting about an inch or so higher with ZJ seats compared to the stock XJ seats.

Hope this info helps!

I'm a little confused. I just picked up a pair of power front seats from a 97 Grand Cherokee and want to install them in my 96 Cherokee that currently has manual seats. Am I swapping the 4 "feet" from each of my old seats or is there more to it than that (tracks?). Assuming I get that done, what do the 4wires get connected to? I realize two must be power and ground but what about the rest?

Probably the best way to go about it is the same way my buddy did it (he's 6'3") which is to cut out approximately 1.5" out of the seat brackets and weld back together.

Otherwise you'll be sitting about an inch or so higher with ZJ seats compared to the stock XJ seats.

Hope this info helps!

Sounds like that would work better than I was thinking lol. I had thought about just making a recess in the floorboard and some structure underneath to support it so as to not modify the seats. Guess it would just be easier to modify them lol. I fit with the XJ seats no problem, but the ZJ ones are just so much more comfortable. OF course, the seats are original so the foam is probably not so great anymore lol. My only other complaint about the ZJ seats is the color. It isn't too bad, but I might look into getting the leather dyed if it isn't too expensive to do...

Thanks again for the info.

Paint

Second Request. Can someone help with the following questions?

I'm a little confused. I just picked up a pair of power front seats from a 97 Grand Cherokee and want to install them in my 96 Cherokee that currently has manual seats. Am I swapping the 4 "feet" from each of my old seats or is there more to it than that (tracks?). Assuming I get that done, what do the 4wires get connected to? I realize two must be power and ground but what about the rest?

It could not be simpler. Red gets power, black is grounded. You have the power recline and lumbar functions of the ZJ seats, and the manual slider of your XJ seats. As far as mounting the seats.

The front seats are really easy, provided you swap your XJ brackets to the ZJ seats. I didn't take any pictures of the install, because it's such a simple swap, just remove your stock seats, remove the brackets, swap them over to the "new" seats, reinstall seats, done. Four 13mm bolts removes and reinstalls the brackets, and I found that both my 98 XJ and the 97 ZJ used the exact same holes on the seat bases.

Yes the sliders unbolt from the seats. You'll still want to use your stock XJ slider rails. As for the power options, I can't help, I didn't end up doing that. Manual operation is fine with me :)

Red and black are power and ground for the seat motors. The other wires must be for the heating pads or memory settings; I never confirmed that, nor did I connect them. If you look at the seats side-by-side, it's pretty obvious what you need to do. Do not be concerned if you can't find a picture and detailed how-to on it; it's 4 nuts and 2 wires.

Back