• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Zippo lighters

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone use a Zippo? I know people collect them but how about real use?

I got 2 because I was sick of regular old Bic lighters and I am rather disappointed in them so far. The first use I got was on 4th of july lighting fireworks and the wind kept blowing the Zippo out. I thought they were notorious for being wind proof and it wasn't exactly gail force winds that kept blowing the flame out on a brand new fully filled Zippo.

Then the fluid, I filled them a week ago and they are already dry and won't light that fast. The zippo brand fluid isn't exactly cheap either and didn't last that long with just some light use. I bought some other brand of fluid and it had the same problem and it didn't burn nearly as clean as the Zippo brand fluid.

I like they are american made, I like the look, style and feel of them but the short fluid life and easy to blow out flame has me wanting to go back to a cheapy Bic.

i have a solid copper and a solid brass zippo that my grandfather gave me, neither has ever let me down. I use the ronsonol fluid you get at 711 on the cheap and zippo brand flints. mine are at least 40 years old, maybe they've cheaped out (that would suck) in recent years, but mine are solid well built lighters.

a fill usually lasts me about 3 weeks, if it's blowing out easily perhaps your wick isn't pulled through enough. it should be just under being level with the top of the wind guard. you mentioned lighting fireworks, they don't like to be tipped to the side or upside down, the fluid flows down the wick and quenches it.

Mine also seem really well made, one is brass too and I am certain are not knock offs. The wick was right where it was supposed to be, I don't remember tilting while lighting the fire works either. I can hold the Zippo right now and blow the flame out with little effort. When they have fluid they light first try though no problem having to keep trying until the fluid gets low.

Maybe I am not filling them with enough fluid, I was worried about leaking though and know they don't take much fluid at all. It just seems like they sit for a week no matter how much I use them and it dries out. I may not use 1 at all and wait a week and see if it lights.

I have a few.

Usually, A fill lasts me a week and a half. The fluid is cheap enough... If the price of the fluid is a problem then you should probably go back to the 2 dollar bics.

I like to take the tip of a knife and fray the end of the wick a bit more. It usually burns a little better that way.

The fluid evaporates when you're storing it.

$5 for a can of fluid and at the rate I am going with 2 lighters it will be gone pretty fast plus the hassle of grabbing the lighter and it not lighting because the fluid is gone...

Used to carry one, constant refills, it leaking in my pocket, and just all the messing around made me go back to bics

turn it upside down, fill it till it drips, stuff it back in the case and light the whole thing on fire with the first strike. if your fingers go up put them out obviously :gee: once the outside isn't on fire anymore wipe it down (with alchohol or windex if you're a stickler about the smell of the oil) and you're good to go.

if it's leaking in your pocket you're WAY overfilling it.

I have a Zippo Venetian Flourish Armor. If you want it to be completely windproof (and the fuel to last longer) than you should consider replacing the standard butane flame insert with a Z-plus torch. Don't bother with the thunderbird inserts; they don't fit Zippo cases very well.

cigar.jpg

I got mine in 2004 for free at a bar giveaway if you signed up for a Marlboro promotion. Gold brushed finish, nothing fancy.

Original wick still. Not even pulled through. It's frayed to shit but has never let me down as long as you've got a good flint and you strike it like you mean it. I'm afraid to mess with it.

Fill lasts a few weeks and in my experience it seems like the can lasts forever.

It does evaporate if you don't use it. I've lost this lighter a few times and whenever you find it again, it's usually a short-lived joy 'cuz you know it ain't gonna light after you lost it for a month. I keep a can of fluid in my glove box always, for the Zippo or other less noble activities...

Zippo will also rebuild lighters. I've never done it, but they'll do it for free and 4-5 weeks later you'll supposedly have a refurbished lighter with as many original components as possible.

They don't work so well with diesel fuel or kerosene, and this will make it stink for months, nor does the methanol runoff from a moonshine still give a very usable flame. Sometimes boredom is a great motivator for inspiration and sometimes it gets you nowhere. :)

Just refilled mine tonight and it'll be around for a long time for sure.

turn it upside down, fill it till it drips, stuff it back in the case and light the whole thing on fire with the first strike. if your fingers go up put them out obviously :gee: once the outside isn't on fire anymore wipe it down (with alchohol or windex if you're a stickler about the smell of the oil) and you're good to go.

if it's leaking in your pocket you're WAY overfilling it.

Mike's got hte fill right. I used to carry a zippo back when I smoked and that method worked for me.

Tips:

1: Keep a can of fluid in your car.
2: Keep a couple flints tucked between the felt and the cotton.
3: Pull your wick and trim it, if your wick is low so is your fire.

My 5 ounce bottle has lasted me since March or April and I use mine every day. Once full the light goes on for about 2 weeks give or take. They are not meant for lighting things on fire sideways, upside down etc. Without being cupped, the flame will go wherever the wind takes it. A Bic lighter works good because it is a pressurized "directional" flame whereas the Zippo is not. You can however light it, set it down and then have both hands free, for lighting a camp fire or other things.

Zippo fluid is about the best/cleanest fluid you can buy. Next to that would be the Ronsonol and Zeolum fluids. Or if you want to be really cheap and get the same results, use Naptha. Naptha is lighter fluid, lighter fluid is Naptha. Actual lighter fluid though is probably "cleaned" some but I can find anything on if it is or isn't.

I've used everything in mine including gas and alcohol, with the cherry flavor of course. :D

I am seriously going to fill my 2nd Zippo and just leave it sitting up right on the counter and not touch it for a week, do a single light and close it to see. If it lights I will let it sit another week and see. It right now seems the fluid is lasting me just 1 week before I need to refill with just minor use.

I do like the hands free light and set on a table, I really want to like and use these things I mean they have been around forever and really seem well made. I just need to get past the fluid evaporating at such a fast rate...

I always carry a zippo, lasts about 3 weeks depending on use. I sorta collect them as well.

When I was younger I had OLD zippo style lighters made by ??? Probably 10-15 of them from flip tops to squeeze style flip tops etc. that worked just as good. I can only guess they were from the 1940-60's era. I have no idea where they ever got to but I'm sure they would be nice to have now and worth a pretty penny as well. :(

I've always had my zippos last about a week between refills. I've got a small collection but rarely use them anymore. They usually get brought out of the box for deployments.

Back