• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your top five engines of all time?

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I was thinking about this in another thread, thought I'd get everyones opinion. What are the top five engines of all time?

Here is the only caveat: The engine has to be from the "modern-era". For this purpose, we're going to call that 1950 and on (sorry 5-90, no obscure 1920's engines for you :laugh: ). Also, you HAVE to keep it to five (that makes it tougher).

Here are mine:

1) GM 350 V8
2) Ford 351 cleveland V8
3) Dodge 440 V8
4) AMC/Chryco 4.0 I6
5) GM 3.4l/3.8l V6

Man, its hard to list only 5.

I'm sorry, but while I agree that the 4.0 is a great little motor, calling it a top 5 is a huge reach in any list. Also, the list really should have a sub heading of some sort. Is this a list for reliability, horse power, stump pulling torque, easy to modify?

Merlin V-12 (its pre 1950 and for aircraft but I don't care :D)
Chevy 427
Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth 426 Hemi
Ford 429
Chevy 350

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but while I agree that the 4.0 is a great little motor, calling it a top 5 is a huge reach in any list. Also, the list really should have a sub heading of some sort. Is this a list for reliability, horse power, stump pulling torque, easy to modify?

No, if I created categories for horsepower, torque, modifications, etc. it would make it too easy to list 5 engines per category. I'm trying to make you think of the top 5 all-around engines of all time.

If you want, you can say why you put a particular engine in a list.

For instance, here are my reasons why I listed my engines:

1) GM 350-maybe the easiest engine to modify, availability of aftermarket parts, etc.
2) Ford 351-nearly the same reasons as the GM 350, but not quite the availability of aftermarket parts
3) Dodge 440- for shear power and availability of multiple carbs for a reasonable price. While you could get multi-carb setups in that era, none were as reliable and cheap as the 6 pack.
4) AMC/Chryco 4.0l-Well, c'mon this is NAXJA. Seriously though, for pure reliability, can this engine be beat? Also, considering the engines hey day was in the 80's when everything else was a pile of shit speaks volumes.
5) GM 3.4l/3.8l- This barely made my list. Reliability and fuel economy, as well as ease of hitting at least 250k miles with no repairs.

I could have easily put about 5 more engines in the #5 spot, but thats what makes it fun.

1. 426 hemi
2. 427 chevy
3. 327 chevy
4. ford 427,428,429 take you pick
5. the new 572 chevy crate motor

In no particular order...

Small Block Chevrolet V8. This is the one that has essentially defined the "performance aftermarket." It was the first engine to break the "1HP/ci" barrier (Vic Edelbrock, Sr.) Still going strong, just in newer versions.

AMC V8 engines, especially the third-gen (304/360/401ci.) Legendary - not bad considering that AMC engineering spent most of their time "behind the 8-ball!"

Ford Cleveland Six (240/300ci.) I know - it's a Ford. It's one of the few engines they made that was actually worth a bent cent, so it goes on the list.

AMC Six. We all know why.

Volkswagen horizontally-opposed four-cylinder. The only real flaw was the use of magnesium for the crankcase - engine fires sucked. But, the engine itself (once you solved the issues that led to melted fuel lines!) was great! Nice being able to pull an engine to do a clutch, without needing an engine hoist!

(Obscure 1920's engine blow chunks, most of them were flatheads with low compression, and are outperformed by modern one-lunger B&S or Tecumseh engines... Wiseass.)

Five particular engine designs doesn't fly well - five families of engines is easier. Yes, even the VW H4 is a "family" - with a 1200c/c and 1600c/c version, IIRC...)

Ford flathead V8,
Chevy 327 small block,
Ford 300 straight six,
Ford 351 Winsor
5.9 Cummins

:wave:

Chevy- 396

Chevy- 283

Chevy- 350

Ford - 289

Chevy- 327

4.0 AMC motor
302 ford
350 chevy small block
454 chevy small block
4.6 4v mod motor

i could also list the ford 2.0 zetec motor, but thats personal preference. love that motor

Ford FE series (390, 409, 427, 428, etc)

Cummins 4BT, 6BT

Offenhauser race engine series

Chrysler RB wedge series (413, 426 Max Wedge)

Nissan/Datsun 280

Honorable Mention: Merc Flathead V8

No votes for the Mercedes 240D, 300D? Those have to be some of the most bullitproof engines I have ever came across. Not great on performance but man those things last forever. I cant tell you how many of those things I maintain in my shop with well over 300k on them and still going.

No votes for the Mercedes 240D, 300D? Those have to be some of the most bullitproof engines I have ever came across. Not great on performance but man those things last forever. I cant tell you how many of those things I maintain in my shop with well over 300k on them and still going.

1. Ford 289
2. Nissan VQ35DE
3. Dodge 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
4. Jeep 4.0L (got to throw it in somewhere if it is sitting in the parking lot)
5. BMW 3.2L I6

(and a hearty dishonorable mention goes to the Jeep/Chrysler 3.7L, as well as anything graced with the letters R-E-N-I-X)

Back