• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yield strength test for the ME's (and good info for the rest of us).

BrettM said:
hmm, i don't really know jack about Uni-balls, but if it's good enough for trophy trucks, then cool. My friend built a 2.5ton YJ with the 1.25 Evo rebuildable heims, I like that they're easily rebuildable, and definitely plenty of beef. Of course with a wishbone, all of your articulation must be misaligned at the single joint... looks like the Evo goes 28* and a UniBall goes 32* (http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Joints/index.html)

normal_3.jpg

I used delrin on my wishbone, primarily because I had no triangulation in the lowers, and only around 24" seperation on the wishbone, so I needed something very stiff. I kinda like the idea of having a little bit of poly in a link suspension to reduce shock loads.

Me too.

But now I'm thirsty and still have 5 more hours before I can imbibe. Thanks a lot.

BrettM said:
bleck. I just got back from Europe, and I brought back some amazing Belgian beers. If I still have any left in a couple weeks I'll bring ya one.

High zoot beer is lovely for enjoyment.

Does not serve well as fabrication lubrication. :D

Well I drew this up really late last night but it might be close ot what yu are looking for, in the bent sections I would increase the height of the box, then thin it back down towards the plate.

untitled.JPG

Rod ends on a wishbone are bad. It puts the center of rotation ahead of where the arms want to rotate causing additonal forces(moment) on the end itself. This is usually self destructive or causing the design to be very overbuilt. With the Uniball or Spehrical Beairng in a plate you can locate it on the intanoues center of the arm like it should be.

Weasel said:
Rod ends on a wishbone are bad. It puts the center of rotation ahead of where the arms want to rotate causing additonal forces(moment) on the end itself. This is usually self destructive or causing the design to be very overbuilt. With the Uniball or Spehrical Beairng in a plate you can locate it on the intanoues center of the arm like it should be.
true in theory, but as long as the rod-end doesn't stick way out from the point the wishbone converges I don't see it being a problem in practical application. besides, the part that needs to be overbuilt in that instance is the shank of the rod-end, which I think 1.25" of 4140 is already overbuilt anyway.

XJ_ranger said:
I've seen that before, but don't see how it applies to this topic. That setup does nothing to achieve better geometry like a links suspension does. That setup does nothing to provide ride height adjustment.

scottcoil13.jpg

BrettM said:
I've seen that before, but don't see how it applies to this topic. That setup does nothing to achieve better geometry like a links suspension does. That setup does nothing to provide ride height adjustment.

scottcoil13.jpg

werent we talking about air bags and such to gain height and keep a flexable suspention?

i thought that was this thread...

XJ_ranger said:
werent we talking about air bags and such to gain height and keep a flexable suspention?

i thought that was this thread...
center mount airbags were discussed (i think this thread, I'm too lazy to look through all the posts) but for the purpose of ride-height adjustment, which a coil spring does not accomplish.

BrettM said:
center mount airbags were discussed (i think this thread, I'm too lazy to look through all the posts) but for the purpose of ride-height adjustment, which a coil spring does not accomplish.

To paraphrase 'gearinstalls' article, "The lower spring cup dish unbolts and spacers can be inserted to create additional lift"

Doesn't that count as ride height adjustment?

That was the quarter elliptical thread.

Try and keep up. :D

CRASH said:
Oh, an Brett if you were really an engineer, you would have suggested a much more expensive option, requiring months of time to source, and utilizing new tooling for you to play with. :flipoff:
CRASH

Not so - engineers are, by nature, lazy. Most of the stuff we have to fight with when working on a vehicle is probably the product of a designer (form follows function, not the other way around, people!) accountants (I can understand saving a few cents over a production life of two million vehicles, but have some understanding of what mechanics go through...) and/or lawyers (and Gawd knows why they do what they do...)

An engineer would design something he'd have to work on himself, and would therefore design it to use a minimum of tools (all common,) and make everything maintenance-related fully and independently accessible.

Don't suppose you have a general idea we can go forward with (I hadn't read the whole thing - just the first page and whatever's up now,) but if you've got "unlimited fab ability," then we can take your basic idea, apply various mill shapes (and materials!) to it, and go forward from there. Also, what sort of stresses to you foresee - we may see something different, but it would still be a jumping-off point...

5-90

5-90 said:
Not so - engineers are, by nature, lazy. Most of the stuff we have to fight with when working on a vehicle is probably the product of a designer (form follows function, not the other way around, people!) accountants (I can understand saving a few cents over a production life of two million vehicles, but have some understanding of what mechanics go through...) and/or lawyers (and Gawd knows why they do what they do...)

An engineer would design something he'd have to work on himself, and would therefore design it to use a minimum of tools (all common,) and make everything maintenance-related fully and independently accessible.

This is quite true. Being a mechanical engineer myself I'm fighting business, financial, and marketing constraints more often than material ones.

Meanwhile, my XJ has been undergoing major surgery for the last 7 months, and I've designed the entire thing from scratch. No way in hell anyone would buy it if I were to market the system (what customer would really want to cut holes in their floor to run upper links up into the cab somewhere?) but from a functional standpoint it's quite a nice solution. I just bolted EVERYTHING up for the final time over the weekend and it was a joy having all the holes line up, everything fit, and all because I've been really careful and thoughtful the whole time.

I'd still like to see a formed rear wishbone section though.

vetteboy said:
I'd still like to see a formed rear wishbone section though.

can you say....

Carbon Fiber Compression Mold?

that would be really really cool... :D

XJ_ranger said:
can you say....

Carbon Fiber Compression Mold?

that would be really really cool... :D

shhh!

The only thing I don't like about the wishbone's is usually the point of rotation is not where the link converge causing the connecting joint to be humongo.

Back