• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Seats the final answer FAQ

ConnorMann said:
Xj Seats the final answer FAQ

- The power seats in the newer XJ sit about 1"- 1 1/2" higher than manual seats

I question the validity of this statement. From various sources, I have heard just the opposite. Does any one absolutely know for sure? Here is a sample about what I question:

"No, your not SOL, as mentioned by the other folks with 97+ Cherokees with power seats, you will get more head room, as we've all got the same center tunnel. As I recall on the test drives I took, the power seats in the late models allowed you to get the seat down significantly lower than the non-power seats. At 6'-0" tall, I was fine with the regular seats but I can imagine that it must be kind of tight for ya in there! See if you can find a late model Cherokee at a used car lot with power seats, and check it out before you invest the time & $$$ in replacing the seat...."

My '88 LIMITED has BOTH front seats as power (and leather for ALL seating surfaces, too. Of course, the thing somehow left the factory with AMBER front lenses, just like the "export" models. Try finding those as a replacement in the wrecking yards!!). I am getting ready to throw some Honda(ugggh, rice) Prelude seats in my '88 Laredo, as the original seats are about done.

falcon556 said:
For those who understand, no explanation is needed, for those who don't, no explanation is possible.

Been watching David Blaine have you?

pabloconrad said:
This is a pretty long and extesive thread dedicated solely to one's butt.

Hey...just b/c your butt's not worth the extra attention....:D

I actually started gettin' a little annoyed with my seats today. I think the PO was a rather large individual. I took out the drivers today to see if any of the welds had broken but they all look good. I think the foam has seen better days though. I could get new seats but I think I'll just switch things up a bit and start putting the wallet under my left cheek.

riverfever said:
Hey...just b/c your butt's not worth the extra attention....:D
My girlfriend says otherwise.:loveu:

In all seriousness, if there's any at this forum, I drive up to 100 miles a day for work. I currently have a nice set of seats I got from a former XJer who modified his rig for all off road. The seats are nice butt the driver's side is a bit worn. I'd like to get new ones without having to fully modify the interior, but those are a bit hard to find.

Last edited:
Connor, which OxiClean did you use? There are a number of different kinds... powder, liquid... which? And what did you soak it in? A big tub or what? I tried putting them in the washer with the liquid stuff... but didnt' work out like yours did. Please explain a little more which stuff you used and the process, thanks!

Bdiddy11 said:
Connor, which OxiClean did you use? There are a number of different kinds... powder, liquid... which? And what did you soak it in? A big tub or what? I tried putting them in the washer with the liquid stuff... but didnt' work out like yours did. Please explain a little more which stuff you used and the process, thanks!

I used a plastic trash can.
The covers had the tendency to float and I had to put a weight on top to keep them submerged.

So,

I have a 90 with manual seats, and I want to put in these power leather seats out of a 90 Limited. Where does the electrical come from? It appears in the FSM, that it is fed from the center console. But it looks like I will need some type of harness or wire to get 12v to each seat?

Anyone know where the harness is or is it something I need to get from another source?

Thanks,
Bob

Falcon, did you use OxiClean or something else? And which product of OxiClean did you use, if you used it? There a few different kinds of OxiClean... thanks!

Bdiddy11 said:
Falcon, did you use OxiClean or something else? And which product of OxiClean did you use, if you used it? There a few different kinds of OxiClean... thanks!

I used a combination of TIDE and color safe bleach. Whatever the wife had, it was an Oxyclean equivalent. Can't remember brand name.

Thanks Falcon, i'll have to find a not so dirty trash can cuz I dun wanna buy a new one... and don't think it would fly if I had them in the bathtub for a couple days...i'll figure something out, thanks though. Hoping to get them clean and ready to install on Sat when I put the power seats in with the carpet I got from the junkyard for $10 and it looks pretty much new now... amazing what a vacuum and steam cleaner can do. :guitar:

I have a 99 xj 2 door with a power drivers seat. The bottom cushion is becomming torn and I would like to replace it. Can I use any seat to replace it (drivers side/passenger side) or do I have to use an ex-power seat to replace it? I never really looked under their to find out and will not have the chance to until spring. I have no garage and currently it is 10 deg and falling right now. Any help would be great.

XJadam, from what I can tell after removing the covers from my seats... the bottom cushion looks to be the same. I think it's only the upper/back cushion that varies mainly with how the sides/arms are designed. I could be wrong... try taking a look at your seat and comparing with another...
Another question I have... removing the cover from the back seat, the bottom seat where you put your butt... how does that come off? It looks to be almost tacked on... or clipped... doesn't look like you unscrew anything like the 2 front seats... I could be wrong. If somebody could shed some light on how to remove the cover from the back bench seat, the bottom one, that would be grrrrreat!:looney:

I have a 2000 XJ and I just bought some 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis (ZJ) seats. These.( http://www.jeeporvis.com/1996-7-orvis-info.html ). They are the 6 way ajustable and heated seats (so they have the big plastic cover around the base.) They did NOT bolt in. only the front left mount was even close to being in the right mounting place. Are you guys using the ZJ mounts/frame rail? If anyone has a link on a write up i'd love to see it. I really want these seats to work! I know I didn't give a lot of info here but i don't wanna make a super long post if someone knows exactly what I am talking about.

No need to recover your seats just take them off soak them in Oxy Clean 4 to 5 scoops and soak for 48 to 72 hrs then put in washing machine and air dry.
After 350,000 miles that won't do it, my seat is flat worn out (split, foam coming out, etc), I'd love to find covers so I can fix them.

Jeff DeWitt

Back