• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ power steering on a CJ ??

DaveB

NAXJA Forum User
I am fixing up an old 84 CJ8 and need a good power steering gear box. I am planning on useing a 93 XJ steering column and electrical system since I am putting in a newer 4.0 fuel injected motor in the 84. I have a couple of nice power steering gear boxes one from a 93 XJ and another from a 99 TJ. They look to be very similar to the CJ gear box with a couple of exceptions: the newer boxes take 3+ turns for a complete turn and the CJ box takes 4+. Also the CJ gear box has four mounting bolts and the newer ones take three. Would it be safe to only use three of the CJ mount bolts for the box and just use a short bolt on the fourth hole ? Or should I spend the money for a new CJ box ?

Dave

Do a search HERE . Steering is discussed quite a bit. It pertains more to CJ5's, but may give you some useful information.

You don't need a custom mount. The '84 CJ should be using a Saginaw box, and the 3-bolt XJ box will fit the same bolt pattern. Just bolt it up and forget it.

The issue of 3 or 4 turns lock-to-lock is a function of steering ratio. The old 4-turn box has slower steering -- more steering wheel input to turn the road wheels the same number of degrees. IMHO, faster is better.

Back