• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Hood Vents

cykaaro said:
There is one specificaly designed for the XJ, but I went through all my links, and haven't been able to find it.
The factory XJ hood vents came on the Orvis Edition XJ's in Europe.
The same vents were used on the ZJ 5.9L Limited here in the States.
These are the ones I have (had).

xjeuro4.jpg

JEEPZZ said:
The factory XJ hood vents came on the Orvis Edition XJ's in Europe.
The same vents were used on the ZJ 5.9L Limited here in the States.
These are the ones I have (had).

I've seen a picture of those before, but didn't know they were use by chrysler. The one I was looking at was aftermarket. It's done by drilling holes down the middle of the hood, where it's recessed and te piece fits right over lining up with the holes. The heat then comes up thorugh the holes and is directed at the windshield, which helps against the window fogging, or so the write up I was reading was saying. Just can't find the link at all. If it does actually work, looks like a fairly easy mod to do, and there's not the problem of water coming through.

cykaaro said:
I've seen a picture of those before, but didn't know they were use by chrysler. The one I was looking at was aftermarket. It's done by drilling holes down the middle of the hood, where it's recessed and te piece fits right over lining up with the holes. The heat then comes up thorugh the holes and is directed at the windshield, which helps against the window fogging, or so the write up I was reading was saying. Just can't find the link at all. If it does actually work, looks like a fairly easy mod to do, and there's not the problem of water coming through.
cykaaro I remember that vent, it was the fuglyist looking thing, but each to there own. I think the thread was in the peformance forum. I'll try some searchng for it too. If not, I'm almost positive that it was being sold on ebay. I try a search on there to for you too.

Hey...SCOOBY....I TOTALLY agree...that hood scoop he's talking about is majorly ....FUGLY...in my opinion...at least. I think the LeBaron vents look 100% better than that ugly...squared off, home-made (not in a good homemade way!) looking contraption!! I think the LeBaron vents look like they came off of the XJ assembly line....once they're installed properly.
Aron

There may be one on ebay,but that's not where I found it. Was some site all on it's own, but can't find it. Didn't look home made at all from the look of it, and blended well with the hood. I have no doubt someone did a homemade looking attempt at it for sure, but that definitely wasn't the one I was looking at, although maybe the same in princple.

As for hood vents, I don't know if I even need them at this point, but will have to see once summer gets here. Being winter, I can't even hit 100C on it at all, so it's no way near into the red at all. My only real concern with having them would be water getting into where it's not supposed to be at all.

I borrowed this idea from a Jeepspeed racer. Simple and cheap. Under the holes I attached (with silicone) expanded metal lath from Home Depot.

Img_3256.jpg

the vents that are on the cowl of the older YJ work great on my cherokee. just got 2 from a junk yard, cut holes, screwed them in and called it a day. they look good, cheap and they work.

UtXtream

clicky here -----------> http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=329375[/QUOTE]

I "clicky here" but was not a valid link. But my question and need is for a 280 Z (short) hood vent. The matching pair is 1 long & 1 short. I'm looking for the SHORT side. Anyone out there have one available? I have a LONG available if anyone is looking to make a pair of long ones.

ADVNTURR said:
I put a set of the 94-96 Grand Prix hood vents in my 91 over the summer. I didn't notice any drop in the guage reading, but you can feel the heat coming out of the vents a long time after you stop and turn the motor off. I was able to position these smaller vents in a place so as not to be over any electrical components and so far have had no problems with them. My website has a little tech about how i did it and a link to a really good site on how to install them.

ADVNTURR - I'm doing the Grand Prix Vents too. Just curious what size screws you used for them? Did you use the drip pans too?

OK so you have 2 vents, a short (pass side) and a long (driv side) and what makes the one longer in a natca duct at the bottom of the vents, right?
Just cut it off, measure the thickness of the bottom of the other vent and trim to that lenght. Check out the picture showcase forum and look for 94Xj to see how mine turned out.

I'll make it easy;http://community.webshots.com/user/xjcrawlr

Last edited:
I'm considering finding and installing the older style Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 vents.

The ones that look kinda like this shape (from the top)

------
|----|
|-----\
|------\ V air flow pullin heat out V
|-------|

I'd just put one in there, would look at what side to put it on.

Functional and would set off a nice look.

Would probably be skeerd to do it myself, heh.

This hood stand off kit -- or a home made one -- is interesting. Dunno if it would work as well as a few vents http://go2rdsi.com/racing/jeep/xjstore/xjexterior40.html

Last edited:
What I want to know is about water. A couple of people asked about drip pans. Has anyone made any? Has anyone made covers for winter. They look cool, and get rid of heat, but what about the elements, and seasons? If someone could provide input that would be great.

I made my hood vents last summer and wasn't concerned with water getting in at the time because I live so close to death valley it rarely ever comes but this winter has been very wet for us along with the rest of SoCal so I have only one complaint from the vents. The water that drips into the engine bay as it rolls down the hood and lands on the engine dip stick. The water seems to wick down the dip stick past the cap/seal and has started to get a little surface rust on the upper end of the dip stick. I plan on cleaning it up a bit with some solvent and putting some JB weld on the top side of the cap/seal to keep this wicking action from continueing as soon as it drys out a bit.

If you install some vehicles factory vents you can use some silicon under it to keep all water that runs down the hood from dripping into the engine bay so the only stuff gettin in it the rain that falls directly into the vents.

I figure that when you drive through water on the highway it splashes all over the engine compartment anyways so I dont see why it woud be a huge issue getting a little from the top.

Back