• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ got rear ended.

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
Coming home from work on Friday evening my XJ was rear ended. Some 20 yo girl that probably was too busy screwing with her cell phone. She used the hydroplaning excuse, however there was no standing water. Between the time I stopped and the time of impact there was sufficient room for her to slow down.

The tow hitch took most of the impact with the exhaust and aux reverse light taking a hit too. I estimate her speed 30-35 mph.

The hitch is angled down a bit as are the section of unit-body rails it is bolted to. Rails in front of the hitch are bent and wrinkled. The center of the both wheel wells have a bulge and crease. Right fender is bent. Rear doors are misaligned by 1/4", they use to be in line with the catch. Rear hatch is hard to open and harder to close. Bumper end caps are bulging out. The exhaust has been tweaked a bit too as I have vibes and rattles in the cabin now.

She has some cut rate insurance company called Assurance America. Pretty bad reviews. I will be getting an attorney and find the best body shop I can.

I'm hoping they can straighten it, but I don't think it is possible. However, I also don't know jack about frame straightening machines and what they can repair.

Pics on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/monochromatix/D1iW0w

My '91 was hit hard by a YJ that got hit by a jeep liberty at about 50 mph. I paid a shop $200 to straighten it. There was easily a 3/4 inch alignment problem between the front and rear doors and I couldn't open them.

The only thing you have to be careful of is when they pull it back straight it's going to mess with the unibody seam underneath the rear seat.

That sucks......hopefully it can be straightened. If they can, throw on some HD Offroad Unirail stiffeners in the rear wheelwell area.

That was the same type of impact that my '88 (my first XJ) had with the exact same damage. Other driver had USAA. They totaled it. They allowed me to buy it back for "salvage value" and I paid a couple hundred bucks for a shop to straighten it. It never was quite right after that.

I hope you have better luck.

that sucks. that WAS a clean jeep. they'll total it. buy it back straiten and plate the **** out of it. if youre having alignment issues with the springs since its all been pushed forward just link it!

That is much too nice of a Jeep not to try to fix it. Fortunately it is not fully tacoed. I would hope that can be straightened out.

Stupid woman!
That isn't what I have been calling her. Between when I came to a stop and when she hit me was ~30 seconds. The speed limit on the road is 40 mph. Plenty of time to stop. She was probably screwing around with her cell phone or some other crap.

Yesterday I tried to get one estimate. He said he couldn't give me an estimate then but would get to it first thing in the morning. I asked for a rough estimate before I left and he said guessed $5000. I never heard anything from him after that.

I went to a second place today to get an estimate. They gave me a price before I left. $3600 and change. They would straighten the body, replace the left rear "frame" rail, repair the right rear frame rail, replace the bumper end caps, replace the hitch, repair the left rear quarter panel, repair the bulges in the wheel wells, check the exhaust and repaint. Mopar actually has a part number for the "frame" rail. 5127595AA, $845.00.

I tried to contact 5 attorneys today. 3 never returned the phone calls. 1 wasn't interested if I didn't have major bodily injuries and the 2nd one gave me some advice. Then told me to go to a doctor then come talk to him. I guess they are doing so well they don't need my money.

That isn't what I have been calling her. Between when I came to a stop and when she hit me was ~30 seconds. The speed limit on the road is 40 mph. Plenty of time to stop. She was probably screwing around with her cell phone or some other crap.

Yeah, I probably would have been cussing her with every expletive that I know. :laugh:

I was in an accident a month ago, a guy made an unsafe left turn in front of me, I hit him at about 25 mph head on. two estimates at $6k+

if you have full coverage, claim it on your insurance and they will go after her for liability. They will probably total your jeep and then you can buy it back for $400.

If you only have liability, your insurance will probably tell you "good luck!' like mine did (Progressive).

It took me about a month but I settled for $3750 and kept the jeep (97)

At least check with your own insurance to point you to some other shops. What/who to talk to that won't waste your time as the other lawyers have.

Back