• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ fuel pump going out?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
'96 XJ here, and in all the time I've had this one since 2007 the fuel pump has never been replaced. So unless it was replaced in that first 10 years or so I'm still working with the original one installed.

Just twice now in the last week I've noticed a kind of quieter whiney sound coming from about the fuel pump area when I've been under low enough moderate acceleration to hear the sound. It's only happened a couple times but only during acceleration. Is this a typical symptom when a fuel pump is about to give out?

If this is what's happening, is there any good tutorial thread out there to help me get this pump changed out?

The best advice I can offer is search for Anak's tutorial on this site - the '96 XJs have a 'one off' fuel module which includes the pump, regulator and sender as one unit in the tank. OE replacements are virtually impossible to find altho' Crown do a version but be warned the sending unit (the silver strips the float arm moves across as the level changes) is complete rubbish and will give you wildly incorrect fuel level reading. Simply transfer the sending unit from your OE fuel module to the new unit. If I can do it you can too, believe me and you'll then have correct fuel readings.

Stop press: found it; this was a life saver for me. The 3rd photo down shows the sender unit strip I'm talking about above. Thank you Anak:clap:

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1107991

Last edited:
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? On the ‘96 and earlier, it is mounted on
the LH frame rail. I replaced the fuel pump on my ‘96 (OBD-2) with a Crown unit last Winter
2022 and it has been good so far. No issues with the fuel level sender, either. Knock on wood.

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? On the ‘96 and earlier, it is mounted on
the LH frame rail. I replaced the fuel pump on my ‘96 (OBD-2) with a Crown unit last Winter
2022 and it has been good so far. No issues with the fuel level sender, either. Knock on wood.

Perhaps Crown got the message and changed the sender? I know I spent (far too much) time explaining to the Crown distributor in Europe (Germany) it didn't work properly (nor did a 2nd replacement) back in 2017 so they may have got the message?

I changed the fuel filter when replacing the fuel module as a matter of course.

Last edited:
Back