• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ front "frame" build

What kind of frame does your tmaxx have????:laugh3:

Been doing some work...starting the tube work...

First things first...my buddy that is rock racing in the Eastern XRRA series couldn't make his coilovers work and decided that air shocks were more along the lines of what he needed. So a trade and some cash later...these were sitting in my garage...

DSCF0047.jpg

Got the frame all cut off, cleaned up, and boxed...

DSCF0051.jpg

Plasma cutters sure make cutting metal simple...

DSCF0053.jpg

Please no comments on the way the weld looks...this is some junk sheet metal to plate...the rest of the frame was done the same way...so I'm hoping this holds as well...remember, i can always build a buggy later...

DSCF0056.jpg

We put this tube in about 4 times, tacked it in before finally deciding that this was where we were going...

DSCF0062.jpg

the only way to notch tubing...

DSCF0068.jpg

some spacers...

DSCF0078.jpg

the front end mocked up...

DSCF0081.jpg

needs trimmed and fitted...but the front push bar is bent...

DSCF0074.jpg

more work to do...next step is tying the top of the apillar of the cage to the front end and the bottom of the apillar to the front end...via the holes cut in the firewall...

mac 'needs more time in the day' gyvr

Looking good so far man. Cant wait to see more.

I like where this is going!

Mac, do you plan to beef up the motor mount brackets on the block? Good opportunity while it's easy to get to.

Work looks nice so far.

i have contemplated that...i'm trying to get the dang thing done by winterfest...but time is not on my side...off the top of your head or anyone's head do you know what the threads are in the block for bolts? and how deep they go...wouldn't take to much to fab something up...

a buddy of mine recently jumped his 4.0 powered tj buggy and blew the block apart on the passengers side...he's using the same block in a new buggy (he's competing in XRRA East this year) only he braced the motor mounts all down the side of the block...(where I actually initially started thinking about doing it myself seeing his)...might check and see if he knows the thread pitch...

mac 'goatee...see you with the buggy in october' gyvr

If I remember correctly some of the threads are 3/8"-16 and some of the unused threaded bosses are 12mm-1.25, not sure on the depth. Nice looking tube work!

consider me shocked that the design peps would use both standard and metric threads in the side of the block...

well...its a Jeep...not really...

mac 'like pulling an alternator...standard and metric' gyvr

The tube work is coming out great. :greensmok

I can't wait to see what mac 'never know whats he's going to do next' gyvr pulls out of his sleeve...:cheers:

macgyvr said:
i have contemplated that...i'm trying to get the dang thing done by winterfest...but time is not on my side...off the top of your head or anyone's head do you know what the threads are in the block for bolts? and how deep they go...wouldn't take to much to fab something up...

a buddy of mine recently jumped his 4.0 powered tj buggy and blew the block apart on the passengers side...he's using the same block in a new buggy (he's competing in XRRA East this year) only he braced the motor mounts all down the side of the block...(where I actually initially started thinking about doing it myself seeing his)...might check and see if he knows the thread pitch...

mac 'goatee...see you with the buggy in october' gyvr

Mac, here's how I did mine. There are two bolt holes right in front of the motor mounts, on both sides, that aren't used for anything. It ties into them, increasing the bolts from 3 to 5 per side. Also, the additional two holes are in a position that it significantly reduces the leverage on the motor mount brackets and bolts.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I'm in the process of doing the same thing to the buggy.

Goatman said:
Mac, here's how I did mine. There are two bolt holes right in front of the motor mounts, on both sides, that aren't used for anything. It ties into them, increasing the bolts from 3 to 5 per side. Also, the additional two holes are in a position that it significantly reduces the leverage on the motor mount brackets and bolts.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I'm in the process of doing the same thing to the buggy.

It appears that your solution is fairly simple. I may just do that tommorrow when I'm off work. I was actually thinking in my head, tho not out in the garage what would be the simplest way to do that...and you posted it...plus it appears that those two bolts are standard thread based on the bolts that you have in them...

mac 'motor up strong' gyvr

DSCF0081.jpg

This actually looks simpler and easier than plating the damn frame rails! I'm in the process of plating and beefing the frame rails and just finished installing a section of 3/16 box tube into ONE of my front frame horns. What a pain that was. Once I get the plating on over the frame and this boxed front section it should be plenty strong and give be a blank canvas for mounting the steering, but I really think your way of going is easier and cleaner. Good Job!

P1130061.jpg

P1140068.jpg

P1140067.jpg

Plating the frame is a MAJOR P.I.T.A.!

Mines plated from just at the fire wall all the way back to the back...what a pain...its been done in three different steps...each time sucking worse than the first...

If I had to do it all over again from the start...it would be a buggy with XJ skins...

if your coming to MOAB in October you'll see it there...

good luck with your project...

mac 'tired of grinding' gyvr

Wow that looks good. And it really doesn't look like that much work. I would also say it looks eaiser and could be a better solution to plating the frame rails?

Back