• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Expedition Build

I have talked to a shop owner who swapped 4bts into jeeps. He pretty much convinced me out of even researching this idea further because the 4bt rattles and shakes the unibody so much it isnt even worth it.

I have talked to a shop owner who swapped 4bts into jeeps. He pretty much convinced me out of even researching this idea further because the 4bt rattles and shakes the unibody so much it isnt even worth it.

Yeah, the 4BT seems like a better fit for damn near anything that isn't an XJ.

From an economic standpoint, there isn't anything worth swapping in to a Cherokee but a 4.0, a stroker or a damn-near-free modern V6.

Diesels and V8s are sexy as hell... the 1.9 makes peak torque around 2k - I can't find the rev limiter though. Will never be an economic swap but it might be a suitable engine for the XJ

but its still slower and gets the same mpg as a 4.0

Seeing as how a FSJ can get 25mpg and have much more power than the stock 360 with the 4BT, I'd say your statement is inaccurate.

Being a diesel swap kinda guy, I say go for the TDI. I've already started looking at small diesels for my XJ. $2600 for a swap "kit" with a few mounts and adapters is just a bit outrageous though.

Last edited:
expedition builds are by far my favorite build. you have the right idea to a point where you would eant a lift, lockers are a +, and bigger tires. even the bigger gas tank is a good thought. but the approach i would also disagree with. i may repeat what others have also stated to point out the appropriateness of their responses along with my additions:

Tires- make sure you go with a size thats popular cause in the instance where you use your spare and have another flat, youll want a size thats easy to acquire. so in essence, like a wheel that fits that tire.

Lift- pretty much anything with good quality, but, my recommendation is to get the AAL lift(cause its cheaper) and call Alcon springs to build a set of full leafs that will support the weight you will most likely be carrying.

Bumpers/skids- quality bumpers and skids are good for a lot. allows for carrying accessories, winch, tow points, and that sort of thing. also skids will protect the vulnerable points. where as with normal wheeling and what not stock skids do fine, you wont want to take that chance when going across country to a zombie free(or china free) zone.

Lockers- good investment. great return for the intial cost. get through the spots where you normally couldnt with open diffs.

Storage- very important. you need to be able to safely and securely store all that is necessary to survival. both roof racks and internal storage is a must. things that can weather the elements go outside and things that need to stay out of the elements for most of their life to be useful to you go inside. (the list of things to take with you can be SUPER long so dont expect a full list by anyone here).

Motor- keep it simple there too. you dont want something so unique that its hard to find parts for it. if you plan on a diesel swap(which im all for by the way) make sure to use as many stock pars as you can and try to keep the one off parts to a minimum. especially the ones that are prone to breakage. durability and longevity is important, so make sure whatever you would do isnt something that cant take abuse or has a relatively short lifespan.

this is just a quick debrief of the critical points in an expedition build. others can add to this if ive missed any key points. i havent gone to specifics other than any lift and getting alcon springs to make the leafs cause theyre one of the best out there and they make the spring rates to what you specify. therefore wont sag over time and will be less abused in the process. (read more durable)

good luck

Last edited:
We swapped a tdi into a toyota xtra cab on 32s 4.10. Mostly stock tdi gets like a 3.0 V6. and 31 MPG around town and 33 on the highway. Look into using a toyota adapter. The AW4 in both share the same bolt pattern I believe change a few internal input parts in the tranny and fab some motor mount and your done. Under a grand probably for the conversion parts. I have a CAD drawing for the adapter motor to tranny.

i was also researching the tdi swap, i have a bunch written down somewhere but yes it is fairly straightforward if you use an ax5 with a toyota bellhousing and an acme adapters kit, a custom adapter would probably allow the ax15 to work, adapter plate and a custom torque converter for the aw4 would also be possible. . and for all those who say its gutless... it seems to push a 3400lb jetta wagon with 4 people pretty well.. add some tuning and get the gears suited to the rpm range and i think itd be a nice motor for the xj. try ordering one of the bigger displacement/higher power ones from across the pond even... itd be cool as hell,
good luck

i was also researching the tdi swap, i have a bunch written down somewhere but yes it is fairly straightforward if you use an ax5 with a toyota bellhousing and an acme adapters kit, a custom adapter would probably allow the ax15 to work, adapter plate and a custom torque converter for the aw4 would also be possible. . and for all those who say its gutless... it seems to push a 3400lb jetta wagon with 4 people pretty well.. add some tuning and get the gears suited to the rpm range and i think itd be a nice motor for the xj. try ordering one of the bigger displacement/higher power ones from across the pond even... itd be cool as hell,
good luck

lemme know if you decide to back it up with that AX5-- I'll start buying stock in replacement parts manufacturers-- I'm afraid to get bigger tires with just a 2.5L in front of it.

So what makes an expedition vehicle, sounds pretty much like most builds down here in Australia. Standard sort of lift and then the bits to make it capable of travelling a bit further? Mine has a long range fuel tank (120lt up from the stock 76lt), snorkel, LED floodlights, 50lt fridge, dual batteries, winch and bars and all that kind of stuff? I guess its an expedition vehicle but like I say it's pretty typical for an Australian build. It will also have a rooftop tent soon.

The last thing I'd do is swap out the motor or trans, stock is easy to get parts for and much easier to repair in the middle of nowhere if you need to.

Cheers
Steve

Being a VW tech I can tell you that I don't like working on them in a VW let alone a XJ! I hope you know what your trying to get yourself into.

haha the original poster hasn't posted since the first page lol. He kinda got bashed like crazy, but idk what you expect when you want to put 18"s on a Jeep!!!! Don't think I need to bash anymore I believe all the bashing has been taken care of.
hasta

Back