• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj Exo Cage options

ajsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am Loooking to see if their is any one that sells Individual components for a exo cage. I have Little $$ and the C-rok complete Kit for 1000.00 Is to steap.

Phase 1 I want to pipe over my fender wells.(connect to my rock rails and bumper)
Phase 2 I Want to Pipe over Drip edge and down A Pillers.

I have thought about ever since I got my XJ, but never seen it......

What about REPLACING the fender flares with dual tubing like the warn rock rails, and the tubes could BE your fenders? Could run from front bumper, to rock rail, to rear bumper, and still look somewaht factory, but only alot tuffer!

Anybody got any pics of this?

Ibby said:
Why not pipe?

Because pipe is for smoking choice products out of.

Red97XJ, Wanderingwillys built tube flares that also double as bumpstops. Check his rig out cause there are a lot more goodies on there that most haven't thought about either (me included).

the pipe/tube debate is covered pretty well here...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216563&page=1&pp=25&highlight=cage
no one to my knowledge has posted a picture or account of an incident of a properly built pipe cage that failed, but i can show you some pics of a properly built pipe cage that worked flawlessly in a pretty hard roll. and by pipe, i mean 1 1/4" sched. 40 (which has a wall thickness of .140).

redjeepguy said:
the pipe/tube debate is covered pretty well here...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216563&page=1&pp=25&highlight=cage
no one to my knowledge has posted a picture or account of an incident of a properly built pipe cage that failed, but i can show you some pics of a properly built pipe cage that worked flawlessly in a pretty hard roll. and by pipe, i mean 1 1/4" sched. 40 (which has a wall thickness of .140).

well goddam, if its been posted on POR, it MUST be da truth.

Here is my experience with pipe.

It is used on all the SuperNerfs outer rail. The main reason for this is it can be bent in smaller radius than tube can be bent without having to have a big, hugh dollar bender. (meaning tens of thousands compared to under ten grand bender)

I have seen a cage built with pipe, 1 1/4" sch 40 in a roll get highly damaged. Then have it rebuilt with 1 1/2" tubing survive a roll better, less damage, on the same obstacle, same jeep, same driver.

With all I have dealt with, sch 40 pipe is a less hard, more giving (means it bends and dents easier than) material than tubing of similar sizes.

If I were to use pipe for anything on a jeep I wouldn't put it anyplace above the rocker/bumper part of a jeep. It has it's uses but a cage is not one of then in my book.

But POR and Beezil have much more knowledge than me, so this is just relating my experiences and shouldn't be considered better info than either of the above mentioned. :D

hinkley

dont get me wrong, im not knocking beezil, and i respect his opinion. he could run circles around me with his fabrication skills and knowledge. i simply disagree with the "pipe is for poop" mentality. about a month and half ago, while at tellico, we intentionally rolled a topless jeep with a cage built entirely of sched. 40 pipe. the roll in my book was pretty hard seeing the jeep landed on its side and literally bounced off its side and landed on the top. the cage didnt dent, shift, bend, crack, break, nor in any way change from its preroll condition. all i was doing by posting about pipe and throwing in the POR thread was adding a little objectivity, plus there is some very good info on materials in that thread.

just instigating a little discussion...

JeepFreak21 said:
Next time you do that... get some pics and/or video! :twak: :D
Billy

dont have the video on the computer yet, but hows this....

551320_45_full.jpg

551320_46_full.jpg

551320_47_full.jpg

and of course, the damage...

551320_49_full.jpg

What about sch 80 pipe or hrew? I am thinking about an exo because I layed my jeep on it's side today , I got lucky and it didn't even dent my door (super soft soil), but my friend was ****ed that we had to climb out the pass. side window. I am going to build an internal cage out of DOM, but thats $pendy.

Mykdiver said:
I am also thinking of doing an exo cage on mine when I get it. Does anyone have pics of different designs, so I can get some ideas from them?
i have been searching here for about 5 months now and dont think i have ever seen an exo cage... nope... never... not one...
SEARCH!!!!

Back