• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Dana 44 retainer plates

Thanks Jeff, didn't realize you did the work 6 years ago.

According to my XJ44 retaining plates I need to drill two new lower holes, and elongate the two uppers evenly it looks like. That way the center hole is actually still centered..

Die Grinder on the way.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but:
1. I still can't believe no one makes an XJ pattern 44 retainer plate for discs.
2. I went with the XJ plate with a TF spacer a few years ago, but now I'm looking at a new set of shafts. I don't have a press so it'd be nice to just buy a set, pre-assembled, but of course they all come with either rubi or TJ plates. I could get the TJ disc plate, but as it's pre-assembled, I'd have a lot of squirming around with the welder/grinder/drill to set the XJ pattern.
Anyone think this is more work than just ordering a new plate and un-assembled shafts, and finding someone with a press, so I can do the plates OFF the shaft before installation, or is there enough room that I could get away with modifying the patter while the plate is on the shaft?

I always just notch the plate so you can move it on and off at will.

With your setup, I'd weld the spacer on and then notch it. THen add it to the shafts afterward.

Result is not unlike this: (random google image search result, not jeep parts)

ford-9-big-old-style-retainer-plate.jpg

I always just notch the plate so you can move it on and off at will.

With your setup, I'd weld the spacer on and then notch it. THen add it to the shafts afterward.

Result is not unlike this: (random google image search result, not jeep parts)

ford-9-big-old-style-retainer-plate.jpg

I'd considered the horse shoe design, but couldn't find anyone who could confirm it actually works well, and doesn't result in weak spots.
You got a D44 being held in by these, without any issues?

Yes. 35 spline dana 44 used in a racing application, no problems.

Now a 35 spline dana 60 with the same config plates, still no problem.

Yes. 35 spline dana 44 used in a racing application, no problems.

Now a 35 spline dana 60 with the same config plates, still no problem.

Sweet. I'll give it a try. Probably just fab my own as can't find any on Amazon (where everything else is coming from), and should only take a few minutes to put together.
Thanks.

I fabbed my own. Used stock XJ retainers, welded a tera ring on it, and then cut it to where it just barely fits over the shaft.

Be sure to file the sharp edges down so you dont tear a seal installing them.

Last edited:
Back