• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj body onto a zj frame

yeah i seen the 4.3 in them.but id like to go with turbo diesel and put it on propane.then i wont have no probs in the mud,and i like the sound of a diesel

argh-Picard.jpg

lowrange2 said:
Lol... I'm a whorable speeller.
omg I think my eyes want to jump out of my skull! :puke:

So um just cut the body from where it looks like frame rails on the XJ and ZJ and there you go! :roll: I bet you could find another XJ that has a 4.0L in for cheap as hell...if you have the money to blow on a some ridiculous and waste two bodies to realize it was not worth it, just buy another one...

:viking:

600dollarxj said:

hahaha x2 :laugh:

seriously tho, just swap the 4.0 in, from what I've read all you need is some BFH treatment to the firewall to get the extra 3-4" of clearance...either that or find yourself a v-6 camaro donor car

Wayne Sihler said:
The 4.0 won,t fit in the pre 87,s the engine bay is too short.But you could just lengthen the sheet metal when you build the frame.

Wayne
Not true. The major differences between the '84-'86 and the later models consist mainly of the radiator support. You can swap in an '87-up radiator support somewhat easily, and the trans tunnel to firewall area may need a little massaging with a BFH, but other than that, it's a bolt-in swap. You'll just need an '87-up donor vehicle to get the harness, computer (s [if it's an automatic]), radiator, motor mounts, driveshafts, battery tray (I think it will need to be swapped), plus I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting. You will also need to move the transmission x-member back to locate into the rearward bolt holes at the "framerail" mount (the rear bolt holes will now become the front holes, and the rear holes will need to be tapped to accept bolts).

This topic has been covered to death here, and a search would give all the info on it you could ever need. But the general concensus is that if you have an '84-'86 model, and want more power, your two best options are:

A) Sell it and buy a factory-equipped 4.0 model (preferably '91-up)

B) Swap in a 3.4 liter from a Camaro, as it's a bolt-in replacement for the 2.8, and will get you close to the power range of a 4.0

And it seems as though I read sometime back that the 2.5 four cylinder and the 2.8 V-6 used the same bellhousing bolt patterns. So those that would like to swap out the 4 banger could also do the 3.4 liter swap for a nice increase in power and torque. But don't quote me on that, it just seems as though I read that sometime on here.

Last edited:
Just buy a Grand Cherokee, it's Granderous to the plain jane Cherokee! :roflmao:
You get the slightly longer wheelbase, coil sprung f/r, a V8 if you want that. If you get a very early ZJ you can even get the AW4 and 4.0L, possibly also the 242 or a 231 which would be a great start to build from.

Don't let the pre 87' 4.0L XJs fool you into building them, but do what you want it's your $ and dreams and I wouldn't want to come in the way of that now! :wave1:

I've had a few ZJs as well as dozens of XJs and the ZJs do ride a little better, the only thing I really don't like about them is the stock trannies they have and only a year or 2 here, then another tranny, etc etc. The AW4 auto or AX15 5 speed in the 4.0L XJs is hard to pass up, otherwise the ZJ is a good builder as well.

Troy

Wow I thought I was on JU for a min there. Just sell/part them and get a whole xj like you want. You would be amazed at what you can get for the parts on these things sometimes.

Big Red said:
Just buy a Grand Cherokee,

I've had a few ZJs as well as dozens of XJs and the ZJs do ride a little better, the only thing I really don't like about them is the stock trannies they have and only a year or 2 here, then another tranny, etc etc. otherwise the ZJ is a good builder as well.

Troy

If you get a Limited 5.9 you get the beefier 46RE tranny

sell XJ and buy ZJ there is no reason for doing body swap :lecture:

If you worry about transfer case - when it goes wrong just simply change it for selectrac 242 and drive :clap:

What are you guys talking about? I take my body of my frame every year for inspection, and to put fresh body mounts on for a smooooooth ride.:eeks1:

seriously though, take the advise that all these guys are giving you, do the engine swap or just buy another XJ w/4.0L in it.

After doing a 5.2 swap into my 88 Xj anything could be done. But to swap everything you be better off going with a Zj.

Recently I decided to go to a Zj and now going to start enjoying the 4 link rear.

Back