• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ barely idles while in gear - please help

The Schwill

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry this is long, but I don't know how else to explain my issue.

I have an '01 XJ Sport, with about 110,000 miles on it. No modifications.

A couple of years ago, once in a while I would start it and it would idle very low and rough. If I waited for a minute or revved it up to around 2500 it would then be fine. I had the injectors cleaned and used seafoam.

Even after that, it would still act up once in a while. This would happen at any time of year, hot or cold engine. I could drive it all morning, start it up again and it would act up. The check engine light never came up.

Finally, one day the check engine light came on. Since then, I have had the check engine light come on and off for a little over a year now. The code read multiple cylinder misfire and evap control leak.

I had it in over the summer and the mechanic told me that there a few broken vacuum hoses, he replaced them. The emissions evap leak went away, and the check engine light didn't come back on.

About 3 months later, the check engine light was on again. This happened the day before I was scheduled for an oil change, so I had them check it. The code read multiple cylinder misfire again.

I brought it back to the mechanic, he replaced the coil pack because two of the spots on it were bad. The check engine light went away and it was running fine.

Only a month or so after I had the coil pack replaced, it started up and idled wierd again. I just kind of passed it off as nothing due to the fact that it had been doing this for the past two or three years.

December came, it became cold in Chicago, the Jeep was still running fine. However, I did notice that it would take much longer to warm up this year than in the past. One night that it was cold, I warmed it up before leaving my office, put it in gear and it nearly died. I sat for a few minutes, then tried again. It still died. I warmed it up for another few minutes, it was just under the 210 degree mark on the temp gauge. I turned out of my office parking lot, stopped at the second light and it was idling so low that it was barely runninng. It was responding fine when I gave it gas. I ended up just holding it in neutral between 1000-1500rpms at each light for about the next mile, after that it was fine. No check engine light came on.

The Jeep then ran fine for the next few weeks, through the holidays even when it was cold.

Just recently, it has been acting up again. I figured I would warm it up longer, but that did not help. I can warm it up for 15-20 minutes in the morning and as soon as I put it in gear (either reverse or drive) it barely idles. It responds fine to the gas pedal though. After driving about a mile or two it would be fine. Eventually I would not have to give it gas when stopped to keep it running.

Just the other day, it was idling rough in the morning, like it sometimes does. I gave it gas and the check engine light came on. I have yet to have it in yet. However, I drive almost an hour to work in the morning and it now takes almost the entire hour for it to run fine. If I warm it up for a long time in the morning it barely idles while in gear. However, if I warm it up to the point that there is hot air, with the temp gauge barely hitting the lowest mark, it will run fine while in gear and will not begin to idle at very low rates until it is warmed up to normal operating temp of around 210 degrees!

This afternoon, I drove 25 miles home from work, another 5 miles or so into the city and it wasn't until I was almost to my destination that it was running fine.

I would like to know if anyone knows what my problem might be or what I can try short of replacing anything major. Could it be a timing chain? Fuel pump? Injectors?

I feel that whatever it might be could be the problem that has been ongoing for a couple of years now. The problem that my mechanic has refused to acknowledge or fix!

Thank you,

The Schwill

First off, I'd say do some routine maintenance...plugs, wires, cap, full tune up!! Then, I'd do a coolant flush and replace the thermostat and radiator cap, along with heater hoses and upper and lower rad hoses.

As far as the idling, sounds like either TPS or IAC.

How's your fuel mileage been lately? I have to wonder if you've got an o2 sensor on the way out, and maybe it's lying to the computer, and you're running either rich or lean. The fact that you say it runs fine when you stop and the engine is cold, but when it reaches full temp and you stop it begins to act up is what's making me think this.

Just a suggestion though.

edit: IAC (Idle Air Control) is another possibility...didn't think about that one.

I see that you have an 01 so there is no cap, wires, or rotor to change but take a look at your plugs for sure...get the code read and let us know...
How long does it take for your heater to warm up?
How many MPG are you getting?
IAC might be giving you some idle problems...It almost sounds like a temp sensor or 02 sensor is slowly dying....maybe the Intake Manifold Air Temp sensor....If your mechanic has a good scanner that can monitor operational data, you can watch all these sensor outputs as the vehicle goes through its warmup cycle and goes from open loop mode to closed loop mode...it sounds like yours is taking to long to switch over...

McQue said:
I see that you have an 01 so there is no cap, wires, or rotor to change but take a look at your plugs for sure...get the code read and let us know...
How long does it take for your heater to warm up?
How many MPG are you getting?
IAC might be giving you some idle problems...It almost sounds like a temp sensor or 02 sensor is slowly dying....maybe the Intake Manifold Air Temp sensor....If your mechanic has a good scanner that can monitor operational data, you can watch all these sensor outputs as the vehicle goes through its warmup cycle and goes from open loop mode to closed loop mode...it sounds like yours is taking to long to switch over...

Good point...didn't even see that he had an 01.

keep0njeepin0n said:
First off, I'd say do some routine maintenance...plugs, wires, cap, full tune up!! Then, I'd do a coolant flush and replace the thermostat and radiator cap, along with heater hoses and upper and lower rad hoses.

As far as the idling, sounds like either TPS or IAC.

I flushed the radiator this past fall. A tune up was done when the coil pack was replaced. The rad hoses were checked during the flush. I am going in for oil change today, I will have them pull the codes. I will be relieved if it is something simple as you all have suggested.

This morning it is about 20f outside, I warmed up for 10 minutes and it is driving fine.

My gas mileage has been garbage, I think this may be in part due to having to constantly give it gas while stopped. I typically use a little over an 8th of a tank a day commuting 40-50 miles round trip. However, I filled up Monday morning and have under one half tank of gas which isn't normal.

The Schwill said:
My gas mileage has been garbage, I think this may be in part due to having to constantly give it gas while stopped. I typically use a little over an 8th of a tank a day commuting 40-50 miles round trip. However, I filled up Monday morning and have under one half tank of gas which isn't normal.
After taking into consideration other factors such as winter additives in the fuel, extended idle times from warming it up before you leave, and having to keep on the gas while stopped, you're mileage will be rather poor. However I still think that you've got a temp sensor or an o2 sensor going bad and it's already running rich to begin with. Do you know anybody who's got a fancy enough scanner that they can hook it up while the engine is idleing (both cold and hot) and watch the readings? It would be a great way to determine which, if any sensor is going bad.

Back