• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj 4.6L Stroker Turbo

KMK172008 said:
why not mount the intercooler on top of the engine and put a cowl hood on?

I can't speak for him but you'd need an awful large hood scoop to cool that intercooler. It gets a lot better cooling right there than with a scoop I bet you. That and the intercooler would block the top of the engine bay.

Intercooler on top of the engine isn't a terrible idea...that's how WRX's do it.

Another good option is an AWIC (air to water intercooler)

Pumps fluid to a tank located remotely to draw air out of the intercooler core, and are usually fairly small in size.

WheelinJR said:
Intercooler on top of the engine isn't a terrible idea...that's how WRX's do it.

Another good option is an AWIC (air to water intercooler)

Pumps fluid to a tank located remotely to draw air out of the intercooler core, and are usually fairly small in size.

Yea that's where I've seen em: on wrxs. If you mount it further towards the rear of the engine there is plenty of room. Then put a hood scoop on to get some air flow

WheelinJR said:
I've even got the perfect hood scoop in mind.
Now you just need the 4.6L stroker, turbo, intercooler and plumbing :shhh:
Keep us updated !

WheelinJR said:
Keep in mind a WRX intercooler is a lot smaller than his (at least from what I can judge, I don't know actual dimensions here). Also the WRC (World Rally) version of the Impreza STi mounts their intercooler (which is bigger) in the front leaving the hood scoop useless. They actually took the scoop out of the 08 WRC with the new body style :(.

Last edited:
HAKUNA XJ said:
que bonito... mira donde nos encontramos JP......:D

saludos
hakuna:cheers:

that's great... look there we can meet us JP......:D

salutations

hakuna:cheers:

yay for almost direct translations!

I think he's actually saying we can see each other there... or he left out both question marks and I'm completely confused, haha

and NXJ, I think that's a different language... haha... norwegian (can't speel)?

What kind of cam did u use it yours? i went with a lunatti voodoo and i lovvv it!

Mr_Random said:
yay for almost direct translations!

I think he's actually saying we can see each other there... or he left out both question marks and I'm completely confused, haha

and NXJ, I think that's a different language... haha... norwegian (can't speel)?
sorry, it´s just that JP and I live en chile, he comes from the north of my contry, i live in the central... i know about this proyect for another forum www. twistedandes.com... there is were i meet jp....

i speak better than i write, so. sorry if there is any confused write words :looney:...

I have been doing some numbers on a 4.6 stroker with turbo but I'm going to move to propane for a fuel. with a cooler flame front and 111 octane i should be able to bump the static CR and boost numbers without ruining into detanation.... my only issue is champagne taste and a koolaid budget

Are you going to introduce the propane pre or post turbo?

I think before the turbo would be easiest, but I'd be worried about all that fuel and oxygen in your intake piping.

you can do it either place the is no risk of igniting th propane in the turbo. the LP has a higher ignition temperature than gasoline, LP is 920 deg F were as gas is 475 deg F. i service generators that do both pre and post turbo. I believe that post is going to be easier to meter fuel... gaseous propane is introduced at manifold pressure or greater so the mixer will compensate for fueling in a boost situation without modification. pre turbo is a good option but im still in research phase on the to See if you need to run different seals in the compressor. also with downs stream fueling the is less likely hood of system leaks lighting you rig on fire.

triky part is turbo sizeing..... its kinda an art and a scince all in one

well we are working on new upgrades...the first is replacing the 24lb/hr fuel injector...now we put a 30lb/hr ford racing fuel injector because we are worried to have fuel problems in the desert sands....the other stuff waht we are upgrading is the methanol/water injection (coolingminst with a 250cc injector) becuse i feel some knocking when the engine still for a longer time at high rpms....this is because the CR is higher than the stock and may be a pain in the ass in the desert where temperatures are over 40°C.....ahh aimportant thing is the radiator..i install a custom 5 row high performance radiator and elimnate the thermostat....with this the engine run only at 70° celsius and it keeps cool and at the same engine temp. all the time even when i go over 5000rpm for longer time...and the last one is the replacing of the biscous for a electric big electric fan....this is really a great upgrade because the engine run cooler all the time and the air flow is great...

ahh i forgot the ring and pinion for dana 30 reverse....the xj have a manual tranny with 3.55 R&P ...i buy another R&P with the same 3.55 raltion, Spider gears and install Kit because the front axle may be feel the consecuences of high torque and horse power moving BFG 33x12.5R15 with 15X10 procomp wheels....the probability to broke some parts is a fact so is better to prevent that¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¿

thanks

JP

Back