• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 4.0 Oil Filter Relocation questions

XJGYMC

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone got any info. or how to's/links on mods to the oil filters on the 4.0 inline 6 engines? Mine seems to have the filter mounted upside down, and after years of racing SB chevy engines, I do not like my oil filters sitting upside down so all the oil can drain out of the system when the vehicle is not running. This is not good for any engine to cold start without oil pressure.
I was wondering if anyone has ever looked into maybe reversing the oil filter housing on the block, or maybe there is a oil filter relocation kit supplied for the 4.0 engine to put the filter down like it should be?

Jim C.

My 87 is like yours, my 95 is at a rt angle. It looks like you might have to move the charcoal canister up an inch or so to use the later adapter. TJs & some GCs don't use an adapter at all, the filter just sticks out to the side. You can orient the adapter to point in any direction but it looks like the filter will hit the motor if you point it straight down.

Well, you can rotate the adapter 90*CCW, like on the late models, just be ready to replace the "O"rings, as they will most likely leak after being disturbed.

One thing to keep in mind...Renix 4.0's use a metric oil filter and 91+ 4.0's use a standard filter. I'm pretty sure this is right, but I may have it backwards.

One thing to keep in mind...Renix 4.0's use a metric oil filter and 91+ 4.0's use a standard filter. I'm pretty sure this is right, but I may have it backwards.

Nope - you're right. RENIX has an M20-1.5 nipple thread, and I think HO is 7/8"-11 (I'd have to check on that one. All my rigs have been RENIX.)

On my 96 I HATED the way it would run allll over the place too, SO ! I built a mount off the back of the A/C comp. so it would sit upright in the open area behind the comp. & above the pass. side motor mount.
Now I just work some foil under it to catch the small amount that burps when I loosen the filter and spin it off... catch the burp oil in foil & replace the filter.
It is much higher then before, but it's much cleaner now.

Curt

Back