• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 23 spline 242 for sale! Axle shafts

Jonboy454

NAXJA Forum User
Got a xj 23 spline 242 for sale! Great shape! Was working great when pulled. Drained fluid in case and it looks very good, no shavings or shiney things!!! Sell it for 100$$ OBO Will ship

2 dana 35 shafts with newer joints never been beaten on at all....just street! 50$$ OBO for both sides... will ship

I'll take the 242 if it came from a 6cyl AW4. You wouldn't happen to have the shift plate that goes with it would you?

Are you wanting the shift plate for the 4WD??? I have that and can include it! You will have to pay for shipping... Yes it was behind a AW4, I believe it was a '91 model but not positive on that.... Not sure how much the shipping is going to be yet...I will get back to you ASAP thanks

Crap. Sorry man, I thought all 23 spline t-cases were for the newer xjs, I didn't know that they came in 23 spline for older xjs with a mechanical speedo & different spline lengths.

I would say this is a bump, but on NAXJA it doesn't work that way :(

Well, what year XJ do you have??? I can give you the length with no problem... AW4 bolt patern hasn't changed in freakin forever!!....This is a very good case for cheap..........Anybody else interested

I have a 97. I'm trying to figure out if it will work or not...I'm getting mixed answers from my searching. I'm going to keep researching to find out the real answer, but don't hold it for me.

splitz said:
Crap. Sorry man, I thought all 23 spline t-cases were for the newer xjs, I didn't know that they came in 23 spline for older xjs with a mechanical speedo & different spline lengths.

I would say this is a bump, but on NAXJA it doesn't work that way :(

23 spline is 91 and up. it has no vacuum disco and the electric speedo from your 231 will fit in the case, and all 231, aw4 combo's are the same shaft length no matter what year.

I put a 91 242 in a 96 xj last year without any issues

xjnation said:
23 spline is 91 and up. it has no vacuum disco and the electric speedo from your 231 will fit in the case, and all 231, aw4 combo's are the same shaft length no matter what year.

I put a 91 242 in a 96 xj last year without any issues

How did you get the driveshaft to fit?
96 and up TCs have a different output.

xjnation said:
used a different DS from the Junkyard for 10.00

"I put a 91 242 in a 96 xj last year without any issues"

Having to replace the drive shaft, to me is an issue.
Not everybody can get one for 10, I know, I can use one and then you may have to replace Ujoints, another expense. It can go all the way to serious money.
If you can't find one locally you have to delay and pay shipping etc.

falcon556 said:
"I put a 91 242 in a 96 xj last year without any issues"

Having to replace the drive shaft, to me is an issue.
Not everybody can get one for 10, I know, I can use one and then you may have to replace Ujoints, another expense. It can go all the way to serious money.
If you can't find one locally you have to delay and pay shipping etc.

well if you cant change out a 15.00 U joint then maybe you should not be trying to change out the TC either. adjusting the linkage is harder than changing out a DS

splitz said:
I have a 97. I'm trying to figure out if it will work or not...I'm getting mixed answers from my searching. I'm going to keep researching to find out the real answer, but don't hold it for me.

You asked for the shift plate, that makes me think that you want to convert from a 231 to a 242. I've converted a 96 and a 99. Love them both.
You need a 242 TC from a 97-01 XJ or 96-98 ZJ. If you use a ZJ TC you will find that the studs are a little shorter than what you need, no problem, pull the original from your TC and mount them on the new. A 242 from XJ has the proper studs. Whatever you get, make sure that you also get the connector for the 4X4 indication to splice it to your system. You will also need the shift gate and the light plate from a 242 97-01 XJ.

Back