• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

x factor steering questions

passxj said:
If you read your posts, You will notice a distinct tone of doubt.

I don't take offense. I just like to explain the truth.

I do have a 1" drop pitman. It is the stock TRE and I don't know how old it is. I'm sure it is worn.

It flexes more than and shock will accomodate and still fit in factory locations. As far as I can find at least.

What specs do the Currie TRE's have? I will have to replace mine anyway.(someday)

I'm at 7" in front now. I just lowered it an inch last weekend.

Well for what its worth I just like facts...

The currie is a much larger thread though, 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 I forget. The stock setup there it prolly 22MM?

The currie is still only like 25ish deg BUT its angled down (in the pitman arm fitment) by like 10 deg.

ROBERTK said:
Well for what its worth I just like facts...

The currie is a much larger thread though, 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 I forget. The stock setup there it prolly 22MM?

The currie is still only like 25ish deg BUT its angled down (in the pitman arm fitment) by like 10 deg.
They need one like that with stock threads....Not that it would do any good unless I can Find Some MAGIC shocks.

BTW Lifted, The arms have flex joints on both sides. The frame end is in the same position right now. Thanks for looking out for me. I need someone to crawl under my junk occasionally to point out stuff I need to fix. It helps, it really does.

I think I did the 29" ext Skyjacker Hydro's (both on the XJ and the previous TJ) on a 6.5-7" lift and they allow the spring to unseat by about 1" and thats more then it really should. Yet at compression the tire fully stuffs in the heavily folded and trimmed front fenders. What length shocks are you running? And what tire/BS rim?

hey passxj where did you get your steering kit from? and if you dont mind what did you pay for it?

heffercow32 said:
hey passxj where did you get your steering kit from? and if you dont mind what did you pay for it?

WOW dude, pay attention much, you ask about the x-factor steering and then they have this pissing contest about how much droop it gains. Which for all purposes did nothing for this thread, except give some nice pictures. As for passxj, nice choice in the steering set-up, I wish they had this out, before I went the route I did.

So, explain to me how measuring from eye-to-eye is wrong. When you flex your front end, does your axle move straight up and down??? Last time I checked the limited factor on axle flex in the front of jeeps with stock style steeering was the drag link. This kit fixes that and enough to make 11"-12" shocks bottom out, so just how much flex do you need? And I agree with passxj........ROBERTK......lay off the man, you math is all well and good, but numbers only get you so far, but pictures don't lie.

CartsXJ said:
So, explain to me how measuring from eye-to-eye is wrong.
It's not wrong if you want to know how far the axle travels form point a to point b in an arc, but it's not the way to measure actual droop. The axle moves sideways as well as down. Droop is how much the axle moves down.
Not trying to be picky but that's what droop is.:) :)
Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Kyung

I got it from Creasey Off road.

The price from RK is on their site. If I negotiate lower prices I don't disclose them as a courtesy to the vendor.

I've got Tera eye to eye Nitros that are 16" compressed and about 28-29" extended. They are 4" lifter YJ shocks.

I have Bushwackers and my tires are in my sig. My wheels are 15x8's with 4" BS. The front has a hub conversion though.

The distance your springs unseat is determined by the unloaded spring length and has nothing to do with travel. If you use Ford coils, you could unseat them easily. I haven't messed with it too much since I lowered it an inch. IMO 1" unseated is no big deal.

Thanks CartsXJ. I see you are of sound mind. I'm trying to post good info to combat all the BS that's on the board.

Everyones got an opinion about how to measure. On a ramp, you would need to calculate the droop from the outside edge of the tire. Don't you think? This actually gives you more travel than the shock provides. Stop and think about it doubters. The axle articulates from outside of tire to outside of tire.

You guys are great guys. This steering setup is awesome being that it's bolt on and it's solid. (literally solid)

passxj out

corbinafly said:
It's not wrong if you want to know how far the axle travels form point a to point b in an arc, but it's not the way to measure actual droop. The axle moves sideways as well as down. Droop is how much the axle moves down.
Not trying to be picky but that's what droop is.:) :)
Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Kyung

Straight up and down measurement of droop is ok if you are running an IFS front end. But in the world of solid axles and trail riding, droop you almost have to measure in an arc at the outside edge of the tire. But if you are a desert racer, which a few of us are, and are worried about the whole front end unloading and dropping away level, then you can look at that droop as straight up and down. I know there are a few Jeepspeeder on here, but a majority of us are trail and rock guys, where a majority of the time the fastest we ever go is, well besides from trailhead to trailhead, is about 5mph, where you will be crossed up more than fully unloaded at either end.

And haven't you heard suspension travel is overrated........lockers is where its at.

I did some field testing tonight. Both sides have 10.5" of travel with my new coil inserts installed as bumpstops.(measured at the spring) That is at the top of my test hill also. On the passenger side, the coil was about 3/4" from falling out. This is with a 1 1/4" isolator. I have no bumpstop or bumpstop cup on the bottom of the spring post. The steering doesn't seem to be limiting it enough to notice. If I measure from the tire to the fenders at full articulation the to sides measure 20" different.

If I can get the rear to flex now.............

Back