• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wtb steering box

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I need a new steering box. I also happen to know nothing about steering boxes. Are all cherokee boxes interchangeable? Mines a 96 if it matters.

all XJ boxes are interchangeable, ZJ boxes are too- but they have a faster ratio, YJ boxes are fixed ratio but have a 4th bolt hole and also should bolt right up, mid 80s J20 waggy boxes are as strong as it gets and are also 4 bolt, but they are hard to find and can bolt up with I think little to no mods.

Kevin, I've got a stock box from the parts jeep I bought early this year. It drove fine onto the trailer and didn't seem to have any leaks. $20 and its yours.

Kevin, I've got a stock box from the parts jeep I bought early this year. It drove fine onto the trailer and didn't seem to have any leaks. $20 and its yours.

Willing to ship? I'm back in Sacramento now for school and don't think ill have many opportunities to drive down to pick it up. A flat rate would probably be cheaper than gas anyway.

stock pump. I don't remember which year. it's not the power its the turning radius. and I'm not opening up the box to try to fix that. I'm going to try a different pump and a YJ box if I can find one

Durango and jeep boxes have the same amount of turning ability within the box. Pitman arm length affects turning radius, unless there was something wrong internally with that box

There are different Durango boxes. Plow and non plow versions have different turning radius. I can't remember which is the preferred for the xj.

I'll be retrieving one from a JY Durango and rebuilding it myself at some point soon and tapping for hydro assist while I have it apart.

I may have a good box in the garage I don't have plans for. I'll bring it up this weekend if I can find it kev. You can have it do free. I'd do a rebuild on any used box your self and know its done right.

Last edited:
Gordon, If you can find it, I'll take it!

I have two stock boxes you can choose from. Ill be in Sac at sac marina Saturday the 5th and can bring them with me.

Back