• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: 231 case

JOSEJALAPENO

NAXJA Forum User
I am lookin for a 231 t/case, I does not have to have a sye installed,
but if it did i would not be mad.

I have one outher Q, What is my good working 242 with no sye worth?
It works great & shifts great.

ive noticed its normally harder to sell a 242. but usually there is someone who wants one to do a HnT to, some guys like em too . maybe 60$ on naxja, maybe more on craigslist...
i usually sell stock 231s for 50-60$ if they are working good...

ive noticed its normally harder to sell a 242. but usually there is someone who wants one to do a HnT to, some guys like em too . maybe 60$ on naxja, maybe more on craigslist...
i usually sell stock 231s for 50-60$ if they are working good...

Thank you for the great info Jon! That is good to know.

You can pick one up at Pick N Pull for 150ish. That's not bad but if you have time to kill then I'd wait for one on here. At least you can ask if it works, its already pulled and the price would be half. WIN WIN WIN, ha!

i have an np231 you can have if you can get it from me in the san berdo mountains .... it might be good or it might not .. didn't get to test it (only drove with it like 5 miles) so i won't charge ya for it just got to find a way to get it, parts train maybe?... no sye installed and its off a 1990 so it has vacuum connectors instead of electrical and a mechanical speed sensor.. pm me if you want it

took it off cus i swapped to an np242 for the full time 4wd

Last edited:
i have an np231 you can have if you can get it from me in the san berdo mountains .... it might be good or it might not .. didn't get to test it (only drove with it like 5 miles) so i won't charge ya for it just got to find a way to get it, parts train maybe?... no sye installed and its off a 1990 so it has vacuum connectors instead of electrical and a mechanical speed sensor.. pm me if you want it

took it off cus i swapped to an np242 for the full time 4wd

Ok thank you for the offer, If no outher 231 tcase pops up i will PM you.

I waited for a few months and nothing showed up, then I started parting out that jeep and bam on Craigslist there was one for 60 bucks. Of course it was gone quick.

I am finding out the same thing. I am 10 min to late & a dollar short. lol

i see em alot for 60$ as well.

21 or 23 spline case anyway?

yah thats 21 spline...

What's wrong with your 242?

Not a damm thing, I am just about to swap in my xj 44 that i am building,
I wanted to do a sye at the same time. I was told 242 are not to strong
& not to many kits out there. I know Tom Woods & JB convertions have
a kit. My 242 with a locked front end works great in the snow for me.

I am lookin for a 231 t/case, I does not have to have a sye installed,
but if it did i would not be mad.

I have one outher Q, What is my good working 242 with no sye worth?
It works great & shifts great.

21-sp or 23-sp? I've got a couple floating around, but I'd have to count splines.

I was told 242 are not to strong
& not to many kits out there. I know Tom Woods & JB convertions have
a kit. My 242 with a locked front end works great in the snow for me.

My 242 is plenty strong. I prefer the 242 to the 231 for the fulltime option. No shifting in and out of 4wd when in light snow to no snow conditions. Hack and tap SYE has been running fine for years now with the RE HnT. And driveshafts are cheap in the junkyard.

The 242 is a fine unit.

So not to ask a stupid question, so would than my 242 be ok with a sye & both my axles locked front & rear? Will it hold up ok?

My 242 is plenty strong. I prefer the 242 to the 231 for the fulltime option. No shifting in and out of 4wd when in light snow to no snow conditions. Hack and tap SYE has been running fine for years now with the RE HnT. And driveshafts are cheap in the junkyard.

I love my 242 when it snows, I guess i dont know if it is strong to
play on the rocks?

Back