• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrangler Wheels 17" or 18"

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I will be getting a set of take offs to replace the set of OEM XJ wheels on my XJ at this time with a set of bad tires. So far all the tires and wheel combo I see are 32" diameter or larger. My XJ with 4.10 gear ratio seem to work best with 31" tires. To those who are using 32" tires, What is the performance like with 4.10 gears in city stop and go traffic? What is it like on the highway with the cruise control set at 70 MPH?

In my MJ 4.0L/5 spd, I am running ~31.5" (265/70R17) on JK Moab's with 3.73's
And it works. 70mph @~2kRPM. I preferred my 4.56 gears, but Turdy5 exploded and F8.8 > Turdy5. When I do a 4WD conversion on my MJ it will most likely get 4.56's again.
My XJ 4.0L/AW4 has 31's and 4.10's 70mph @~2200 RPM
They both drive well.

And it works. 70mph @~2kRPM. I preferred my 4.56 gears, but Turdy5 exploded and F8.8 > Turdy5. When I do a 4WD conversion on my MJ it will most likely get 4.56's again.
They both drive well.

I take it you do not have the JK wheels on the XJ. To fit them on the MJ did you use spacers/adaptors? The average spacers are 1.5" how do the wheels fit inside the fenders? I do not know the back spacing of these wheels. Right now Spider Track spacers are being used on my XJ with the OEM XJ Mesh Wire wheels to give a wider stance.

I take it you do not have the JK wheels on the XJ. To fit them on the MJ did you use spacers/adaptors? The average spacers are 1.5" how do the wheels fit inside the fenders? I do not know the back spacing of these wheels. Right now Spider Track spacers are being used on my XJ with the OEM XJ Mesh Wire wheels to give a wider stance.

Unfortunately no. Only on my MJ. Yes, I used wheel adapters. JK's have more BS. I think around 6. Using the typical 1.25 or 1.5" wheel adapters put them about slightly less than stock BS. The tires are basically same tread width on my MJ and XJ. They stuff fine. I have ZJ Canyon wheels with 31x10.50 MTR-k's on my XJ, no spacers. I like how well it tucks in the fenders.

Johnnie Walker,

You have been very helpful so far. I have one last question,...

Where did you get the wheel adaptors and how thick are they? The adaptors I see online are 1.5" thick and I prefer 2" thick to give a 4" back space. With the 1.5" spacers on the XJ now, it have 3.75" back space. I like the wide stance that it have.

The OEM JK wheels have 6.25 back space.

I got mine used from a Sierra Chapter member. So, not sure on specific width, probably 1.5 and not sure of the brand. But they are hub centric.
Most of the adapters I see are 1.5, some are 1.25. Not sure what companies make a 2" wheel adapter. Maybe try searching amazon or ebay ebay and see if anything turns up. I'll keep an eye out too.

A quick goole search came up with these.
http://setgroupusa.com/product/4-jeep-wheel-spacer-adapters-5x4-5-to-5x5-2-inch-thick-hubcentric/
Nut sure where else they might be sold.

Last edited:
I have a 00 Xj. 4.10 gears and
running the JK Moab rims and Goodyear Duratrac 255/75/17
tires with 1.5 inch adapters. City driving is very good. Freeway is a little more rpm than expected. Goodyear web site states that they are a 32.060 in true diameter. I have enough gear and engine power to go up to 385/70/17 (metric 33) I used the calculation of new tire size divided by stock or old tire size stock or old gear ratio. 32÷29×3.55 =3.91. 33÷29×3.55 =4.03

They both drive well.

I'm running JK Moabs with the stock Rubi tires on 3.55's with a 5 speed. Its fine around town in flat as a pancake Texas. I'd prefer more gear but its nowhere near as bad as 31's and 3.07's were.

I have a 00 Xj. 4.10 gears and
running the JK Moab rims and Goodyear Duratrac 255/75/17
tires with 1.5 inch adapters. City driving is very good. Freeway is a little more rpm than expected. Goodyear web site states that they are a 32.060 in true diameter. I have enough gear and engine power to go up to 385/70/17 (metric 33) I used the calculation of new tire size divided by stock or old tire size stock or old gear ratio. 32÷29×3.55 =3.91. 33÷29×3.55 =4.03

I am sure that a set of 1.5 inch spacers will work well. I am just looking for that extra 1 inch width. 1 inch is immeasurable to all but the really critical eye.

I do not mind turning 2,200 RPM at 70 MPH on the highway. That should allow faster take off between stop lights and reduce gear hunting on those long steep hills on the interstate going North out Florida. With 4.10 gear ratio I prefer to keep the tire size at 31". The slightly lower gear ratio should help to turn the heavier tires.

I am sure that a set of 1.5 inch spacers will work well. I am just looking for that extra 1 inch width. 1 inch is immeasurable to all but the really critical eye.

I do not mind turning 2,200 RPM at 70 MPH on the highway. That should allow faster take off between stop lights and reduce gear hunting on those long steep hills on the interstate going North out Florida. With 4.10 gear ratio I prefer to keep the tire size at 31". The slightly lower gear ratio should help to turn the heavier tires.

Kind of depends on the tires you are running also. If you go on tirerack or mast any other similar site they will tell you the advertised weight of the tire.
There were a couple of different reasons I chose to run 265/70R17 vs the 255/77R17 that are on the JKUR. Price, more common size, and ended up getting a free set of the tires I am running now. Just replaced two of them as they were getting low tread wise. And I now have a 5th matching as a spare.

And, honestly, the difference overall will be minimal. Typically as simple as dropping a gear to drive and cruising up the hill.

Back