• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wow, check your floor pans! (rust)

You guys had me worried, so i just went out in the 20* darkness with a flashlight and crawled under my '96 -- no holes! :clap:

I had some surface rust, so it would probably be a wise decision to wire brush it and undercoat it soon.

what is this rust that you speak of?

IslanderOffRoad said:
what is this rust that you speak of?

Always has to be one shill in the crowd, doesn't there?

I have to reply. I can believe someone dug this up. If you see one hole there are probably 4 more. Checking under the jeep is pointless. The crud + the black bottom of the carpet + inside the frame = you can't see holes if you have them. I just finshed the cargo area. It was pretty shot. The floor was gone in the cubbie areas behind the wheel wells and a rectangular rust hole above my gas tank. I used 18 cold rolled, POR15ed the panels, auto motive body sealer, roofing tar and bar and chain oil over everything once dry including the gas tank. Welded and screwed. Replaced the whole cargo area. It was the best way. I made a center section of the floor removable- replacing the fuel pump is now really easy. I can't recommed it enough:

REMOVE THE GOD DAMN CARPET WHILE YOU STILL HAVE TIME.

Yeah...still have to do my floors. They sure like the salt up here too. I almost get infuriated looking at some of the pics of the southern rigs posted on here with little or no undercarriage rust! Last year I went to do the rockers and ended up replacing the doglegs and rear quarters as well. Also had to fabricate alot of the inner wheel wells and perimeter of the floor from the rear seat back-it was pretty ugly.

Yeah so im pulling my carpet out last saturday to put some herculiner on the floors, and guess what i found out that the floor pans were rusted, so I ordered my 18 gauge steel and im planning on welding it up on sunday.

Back