• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would you pay.............

87Wagneer said:
Would you pay
stole calipers off the s10 in the field, made caliper mounts and welded them on and whola a complete axle for under 500.00Hasta

I was with ya till the stole part... unless you are like me and have other junk laying around... I steal stuff back & forth off my 88-90 yard art all the time, and that's what I call it. We should probably call it 'cannibalizing' Being a cannibal is much more respectable than being a thief.

Anyway Ron makes a good point on the situational 'super deals'

Keeping an ear to the rail for NOS closeouts can bag some good stuff cheap... that's how I found that 'new' MJ44 for cheap. (hear about it, research it, take a chance and buy it... and not snooze on it if it's a deal)

Other times it's a shop/vendor trying to boost sales...that can make a sweet deal on that part that you know you need (or might need in the future.)

In my case it has alot to do with reshuffling plans/schedules to suit the deals that fall in front of me... or the 'suddenly pressing' maintenance deals that always crop up with older junk. I guess it depends a lot on ones budget.

Not to totally Hijack dude's thread... that IS a sweet 44. There are advantages to 'just buying it all from one place.' And they don't always involve ease of installation.

my biggest problem is usually lack of funding when i find these "super deal". i do get alot of deals by being at the right place at the right time (free wagonner D44---i'm sure i'll find some use for it one day, 03 chevy avalance rear axle with disc's--not sure if it's the 10 or 14 bolt or what i'll use it for but it was free, etc..etc..)

but i never seem to find free deals on stuff i actually need, and when i find "super deals", i can't come up with the money at that time.

(incase you guys are wondering or going to ask how i build a $2,500 D44 but can't afford "super deals". we had some money at that time, but medical problems and being unemployed because of that made money tight.)

Keeping an ear to the rail for NOS closeouts can bag some good stuff cheap... that's how I found that 'new' MJ44 for cheap. (hear about it, research it, take a chance and buy it... and not snooze on it if it's a deal)

Other times it's a shop/vendor trying to boost sales...that can make a sweet deal on that part that you know you need (or might need in the future.)

dumb question, but how do you find out about these NOS closeouts, dealer parts liquidations???

87 XJ Dana 44..$50.00 (but I had to pull it)
Reused brakes from old 35...$free (smaller I know, but the 44 didn't have any)
Gears and locker and overhaul kit..$544
Axle bearings....$37.00
Mopar Diff cover to replace rusted through stocker....$10.00
Misc. hardware....$30.00

TOTAL...$671.00

As has been stated I lucked out on the axle because they let me pull it for a huge discount, I work at the Jeep dealership so anything there was cheaper and I lost a little on the brakes by reusing the old ones, but they work for now and I can always upgrade.

Gears and locker and overhaul kit..$544

how??? used??? or am i shopping in the wrong places??? i have an entire bookmark section just for jeep/4x4 parts sites, and i usually search for days/weeks to find the best deals on NEW parts, but i don't think i could pull that off new.

scorpio_vette said:
how??? used??? or am i shopping in the wrong places??? i have an entire bookmark section just for jeep/4x4 parts sites, and i usually search for days/weeks to find the best deals on NEW parts, but i don't think i could pull that off new.

Randys ring and pinion.

Back