• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start!

Vehicle: 1987 Comanche 2wd 4.0L

Truck was parked for 3 months without me starting it. After the Battery was charged it would not urn over. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs... It ended up being the ignition control modular. After this was replaced it started and ran fine for two weeks. Then it would turn over and not start. When I would spray starter fluid into the intake it would start for a few seconds and then die.
I replaced the fuel pump and it started up great...drove it for one trip...the next morning, same thing. it would turn over but not start without starter fluid being sprayed.
I can hear the fuel pump turn on. it has spark, new fuel filter...

What am I missing?
Is there a relay on this engine? I could not find one in the CHILTON manual.

If it starts with starting fluid, you have a fuel delivery problem.

You really need to get a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. If you aren't at approximately 31 psi, your 87 won't start.

Your problem is most likely either the regulator or that new fuel pump (don't be surprised; new stuff fails more frequently than you think) especially if that replacement pump is an Airtex.

Back