• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont start----- yes I have searched

Yes I am going to have the throttle body and intake manifold cleaned, I am also going to replace the injectors with some 5.0 injectors that I have laying around. once I get it running I am going to flush the motor and tranny. seeings how I drained them both prepping for a motor swap.

What can / should I do for cleaning the intake ports, or is that just something that should wait for a rebuild?

injectors replaced, intake and throttle body have been cleaned tightened the loose flex plate. still runs like hell. now we have darren's digital engine analyzer on it..... which is extremely complicated. so far we have figured out that i have 15 units of vacume. we still cant get the thing to run right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do our jeeps have hydrolic lifters?

The reason that I ask is that maybe if my oil pump was going out it would effect the lifters and cause my valves to be off a little.

Oil pressure will not change the valve timing. Before you do anything, let me ask, how old is the gas in the vehicle. If it is 6 months or more old, it may have issues. If it has set for a while, I would drain the tank and replace the fuel filter.

Did you reuse the same intake/exhaust gasket?

You said you indexed the distributor, but you could still be off by one tooth. Rotate the engine until it is at 14 degrees BTDC. The rotor should be pointing right at the #1 plug.

Anytime I suspect a fuel related issue, I run a can of BG44K. Heck, I run a can every 10k miles in every vehicle I own.

You said you cleaned the throttle body. You didn't spray the throttle position sensor with carb cleaner did you? That tends to be fatal for them.

on my cap the #1 is slightly counter clockwise from being right at 6 o'clock like in the picture. Could they have given me the wrong cap? I never actually tested the pressure. I tested for pressure by turning the key to on and pressing the pressure relief valve.

Last edited:
The injector plugs are relatively cut for THE injector they go to other than the 5 and 6 MIGHT could be confused. If you misplace wire 1-4 (from what I've seen) then you must have really tried to mix them up, cause they are very self explainatory.

Actually there are two injectors in the harness I have that the length is actually wrong to keep them in order. Check out the color codes on the wires.

I posted the order here a couple of years ago. See if you can find it.

Run a can of BG44K through the fuel. You can't clean an injector from the outside.

As for distributor indexing, it is simple. Put the engine at 14 degrees BTDC. The rotor should be pointing at the wire that goes to the #1 cylinder.

on my cap the #1 is slightly counter clockwise from being right at 6 o'clock like in the picture. Could they have given me the wrong cap? I never actually tested the pressure. I tested for pressure by turning the key to on and pressing the pressure relief valve.

That picture is wrong, so is the one in the Haynes manual, they are both in eoor for the Renix years. #1 should be at 5 oclock not 6. You are off on the distributor timomg by one tooth. Try 5 oclock before you give up and sell it.

You might also check and see if the postioning tab on the distributor has been removed.

Sounds to me like it may have jumped timing on the chain. Not enough to affect compression as shown, and it still pulls 15 inches of vacuum so I'd suspect the chain.

Especially with over 200K on the engine.

Good luck with the sale! :thumbup:

Sounds to me like it may have jumped timing on the chain. Not enough to affect compression as shown, and it still pulls 15 inches of vacuum so I'd suspect the chain.

Especially with over 200K on the engine.

Good luck with the sale! :thumbup:

I must agree, but it looks to me like the dizzy is not set right for sure, so he may get lucky. If reseting the dizzy does not fix it completely, he really should pull the cover and check the chain before dumping the jeep at a fire sale after all the work he already did. The fact that it runs at all and has good compression says it should be one off these two based on all his work and reports here.

Back