• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont Run unless i hold the key....

well tried eveything you guys have told me and none of it works it will run for like 1/2 a second after i let go of the key ,but im starting to think maybe i have a clogged fuel filter,could that be a possibilty???and if so were is the fuel filter..

I dont think that would matter (Fuel Filter) if you held the key or not. As nothing electric controls it fuel just flows from it after it is pumped. And you changed the ignition switch i assume. Heck bring it to firestone and let them do there free estimate and then go home anf fix what they find lol.

The fuel filter is above your rear axle on the driver's side in front of the tank it is in the top center of this picture

this was on an 87 so your should be in the same place... i was showing a repaired brake leak in this picture

Brakefitting.jpg

this probably wont fix your problem but if you dont know where it is then it probably needs to be changed it was only 10 bucks at napa and only requires a 13mm and a flat tip to replace. One of the easier jobs on the JEEP

Slotz_XJ said:
well how much is it for a new ignition switch at napa???just wondering if i got a broken one when i ordered it from schucks

www.napaonline.com

I just had this same problem with my 177000 mile '90' XJ. Only would run with the key in the start position. I replaced all the relays and the fuel pump ballast resistor and it now starts every time and runs like a champ.

whats a "surfinteen belt"? :D

Back