• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont accelerate

DT|Ac1d

NAXJA Forum User
Just got finished with an ax15 swap. After everything got bolted back up I took it out for a test drive. It starts and revs in neutral or with the clutch in just fine. Once you get into gear and put load on the motor it just wont accelerate. If you barely put your foot on the pedal it will very slowly accelerate. But if you put anything more than 10% throttle it will just choke and hesitate. Not to mention it runs a bit rougher than usual, it feels like there's too much back pressure in the exhaust, but I'm guessing its probably a vacuum line disconnected. Any Ideas?

Year?

Did you change the PCM/ECU? I know for sure that some years have different part numbers for auto/manual.

TPS? Tested or adjusted? You can adjust the Renix era TPS (pesky year thing again).

Its an 87 4.0, it originally came with the either an ax5 or ax15 not sure. It got a ba-10/0 swapped into it....don't even ask. Now its got the ax15 and np231.

Sounds like a bad TPS.

AX15 came out mid-89.

Would have come OEM with a BA10 behind the 4.0 for 87.

I would go along with old_man, test/adjust the TPS, and if that is good you might want to check fuel pressure and delivery.

x3. Test AND adjust your throttle position sensor.

Then test fuel pressure on the schrader valve on the fuel rail with a fuel pressure gauge; compare your readings to factory spec.

quick hijack - Just a really ultra stupid question I've been wondering about for a while. I don't see any way to adjust the TPS on an HO (it appears the two bolt holes fit the bolts perfectly), is adjusting the TPS only needed/possible on a Renix setup or am I just not seeing something?

quick hijack - Just a really ultra stupid question I've been wondering about for a while. I don't see any way to adjust the TPS on an HO (it appears the two bolt holes fit the bolts perfectly), is adjusting the TPS only needed/possible on a Renix setup or am I just not seeing something?

Renix only can be adjusted.

Back