• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ steering pump install

I know this is an old thread but I am planing on doing a j20 box and I would love this setup. My question is does anyone have a picture of they fitting you are not super to drill out.
Thanks for the help

Well I will update this with my info for anybody else searching like I did.

If you put on a WJ pump, simply swap out the fitting from your XJ pump. DO NOT try to drill out the hole to match the WJ hole. I did this and the pump was whining like crazy. It was completely bled, but was whining like it was out of fluid (it was a new pump also.)

I stopped by the junk yard and grabbed a stock/undrilled XJ fitting, put it on, bled it out, and problem solved. Steering is GREAT now.

~James

I used the stock XJ fitting as well and I'm having the exact same issue still. Problem not solved :(

What is being referred to is the fitting that sits between the high pressure hard line and the pump itself. The WJ pump in question has a significantly larger diameter hole in the fitting owing to the hydraulic cooling fan.

So, the best bet is to just swap over the pump retaining all of the XJ connections.

What prompted the Jeep Engineers to install a hydraulic fan is a mystery. A tad bit of overkill to me, that one.

So if I understand this correct all I will need is a wj pump and my xj hoses will bolt right on and I'll be good?

If you remember the original post, the complaint was about whirring. Well the problem occurs if you use the small instead of the large connection for the return line. It is a hassle using the large bottom connection because it is a bit big for the old hose, but failing to do that will cause cavitation and a ton of whirring/whining. I had a new one made at my local hydraulic hose place and all is fine.

If you have a background in flow dynamics, look down inside the reservoir and it will all become clear.

this thread
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=946090&highlight=steering+upgrade
will help you out

this post specifically tho
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245054524&postcount=87

bottom picture, from what I understand, the XJ hose goes on the line with the red cap, where as you plug or cap the line with the yellow colour along the bottom of it.

If you remember the original post, the complaint was about whirring. Well the problem occurs if you use the small instead of the large connection for the return line. It is a hassle using the large bottom connection because it is a bit big for the old hose, but failing to do that will cause cavitation and a ton of whirring/whining. I had a new one made at my local hydraulic hose place and all is fine.

If you have a background in flow dynamics, look down inside the reservoir and it will all become clear.

No background in fluid dynawhatnow? But ya it makes sense. My post was just help the guy above me... but with no personal experience I could only quote others.
That said I expect to make this swap in yhe near future as I'm going full hydro and could use a new pump anyway.
I will be using the larger return anyway, and the smaller inlet for an overflow/reserve sort of deal.

Same problem here, cavitating above 2500rpm. I used the standard smaller port. You're saying to use the larger port and plug the small one? Any advantage to using both ports if an adapter can be made?

NO advantage to using both.

Back