• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ spring perch repair

dhreeves

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know of someone in the south metro area that can fix my rotted out WJ spring perches? I have found one shop but the price seems a bit high.

I thought about that also but mine is pretty specific. 3.73 gears with quadradrive so may be a bit tougher to find

I'm pretty sure (like 99.9999%) all V8 WJ's are 3.73 gear ratio and any QuadraDrive front axle axle will work. You just have be sure to get the right yoke on it. Some are CV I think most are u-joints. All limited's came with Quadradrive.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure (like 99.9999%) all V8 WJ's are 3.73 gear ratio and any QuadraDrive front axle axle will work. You just have be sure to get the right yoke on it. Some are CV I think most are u-joints. All limited's came with Quadradrive.
Quadra Drives are very hard to find, they are the LSD equipped axles. I finally found a rear D44 that had an LSD after searching for ~1 year but the front D30 did not for some reason.

No help on the welder, but do you have any pictures, or more importantly, what axle are we talking about? Front or rear?

Wouldn't the QuadraDrive stuff be a function of the carrier and not the housing? If so, you should be able to find an axle without the LSD carrier and swap in your existing one to the new axle and reset your gears, right? Lot of work for a simple repair but if your perches are rotting out, how is the rest of your housing?
If your housing is good, you could get a cheap 110v flux core welder, a torch and some plating and fix it in your driveway.

Wouldn't the QuadraDrive stuff be a function of the carrier and not the housing? If so, you should be able to find an axle without the LSD carrier and swap in your existing one to the new axle and reset your gears, right? Lot of work for a simple repair but if your perches are rotting out, how is the rest of your housing?
If your housing is good, you could get a cheap 110v flux core welder, a torch and some plating and fix it in your driveway.
Correct, the axle housing has nothing to do with the internals.

However, you have to swap axle shafts plus gears and carrier. Not put words into someone elses mouth, but if someone doesnt have a welder, I doubt they have the tools or skills required to install and setup gears.

The spring perch rusting is a pretty common issue with the WJs, they have rubber coil isolators top and bottom of the coil which collect dirt/salt/ etc and rust them out.

Correct, the axle housing has nothing to do with the internals.

However, you have to swap axle shafts plus gears and carrier. Not put words into someone elses mouth, but if someone doesnt have a welder, I doubt they have the tools or skills required to install and setup gears.

The spring perch rusting is a pretty common issue with the WJs, they have rubber coil isolators top and bottom of the coil which collect dirt/salt/ etc and rust them out.

I'm one of those odd balls, hence my question. Though I do have a welder on my Christmas list...

you could just find and axle at a yard regardless off the ratio and set up and cut off the perch then have someone with a welder burn it on for you ...if it's beyond repair ,but no pics ...so no idea how rusted it is .

Back