• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle swap on a 2WD ???

My plans, for the moment, are to run the WJ unit bearings with the WJ rotors and calipers. I just have to find a decent wheel to run the 5 x 5 pattern. I'm putting an 8.8 in the rear so I will need a spacer anyway so I can change it to the 5 x 5 pattern to match the front.

Would the newer model 17" JK rims work? I'm not sure what the BS is on them and no JY's around here have anything I can measure off of. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Remember you're still going to need the dummy stubs to keep the unit bearings together, and only WJ specific ones are safe. Fortunately you can just separate the outers from a set of WJ stub shafts and clean any grease off... maybe get the extra material/CV joint turned off if you know anyone with a lathe and a love of destroying carbide tooling, but it's not necessary. Finding a set of blown WJ CV shafts to pillage the outers from shouldn't be too hard if you strike out on cheap WJ dummy stubs and CV shafts at the JY.

e: didn't realize this was only 2 posts down from last time I said it, now I feel like an arse.

Not sure if JK rims will fit, maybe check what tirerack/similar sites recommend for a stock replacement wheel + dimensions?

Remember you're still going to need the dummy stubs to keep the unit bearings together, and only WJ specific ones are safe. Fortunately you can just separate the outers from a set of WJ stub shafts and clean any grease off... maybe get the extra material/CV joint turned off if you know anyone with a lathe and a love of destroying carbide tooling, but it's not necessary. Finding a set of blown WJ CV shafts to pillage the outers from shouldn't be too hard if you strike out on cheap WJ dummy stubs and CV shafts at the JY.

e: didn't realize this was only 2 posts down from last time I said it, now I feel like an arse.

Not sure if JK rims will fit, maybe check what tirerack/similar sites recommend for a stock replacement wheel + dimensions?

I lucked out and was able to pick up a set of 2WD WJ bearings that had the stubs already in them so I should be ok there. I know that the earlier model Chevy truck's used the same 5 x 5 pattern so if I can't find a factory Jeep wheel that will work, maybe I can get an aftermarket wheel for it.

Nice!

Sounds like rims will be your only real hang-up, aside from buying the JKS steering links, fabricating some, and/or moving the track bar, but that's all well documented as part of the "normal" WJ swap already.

To make it easy on yourself I would just do what I did cause I only wanted the wj brakes for towing and didn't want to to all the steering mods. Just use your stock steering with a zj pitman arm. It drives like stock and no bump steer.

Yeah I bet a machine shop could do it on the cheap, though.
unless it's a friend, i doubt it. not less than the price of new unit bearings, unless the shop is really hurting for work, and then i'd probably wonder why...

You also can't swap a WJ30 in either, they are much different then our 30's.

FALSE, I've see it done. It pretty much bolted right up but i'm not sure exactly what they had to do to get it in there. AS for a 2wd WJ beam, I bet it would be even easier to swap in.

FALSE, I've see it done. It pretty much bolted right up but i'm not sure exactly what they had to do to get it in there. AS for a 2wd WJ beam, I bet it would be even easier to swap in.

Uhhh nope. Coil perch spacing is off, trackbar mount is different iirc and I'm sure there are other differences. Width is way off too, if you're going for a mostly invisible street performer that's an issue.

I lucked out and was able to pick up a set of 2WD WJ bearings that had the stubs already in them so I should be ok there. I know that the earlier model Chevy truck's used the same 5 x 5 pattern so if I can't find a factory Jeep wheel that will work, maybe I can get an aftermarket wheel for it.
JK Moabs!

I'm still not sure on the steering setup yet. I don't need anything really beefy but custom links are nice because they are made to fit.

I wouldn't mind the JK rims, I really do like them, I just didn't know if they would fit or not. I don't know anyone with one that I can "test" fit. I would like to stay with a Jeep wheel if possible though.

I'm still not sure on the steering setup yet. I don't need anything really beefy but custom links are nice because they are made to fit.

I wouldn't mind the JK rims, I really do like them, I just didn't know if they would fit or not. I don't know anyone with one that I can "test" fit. I would like to stay with a Jeep wheel if possible though.

They will fit. I know a guy that has jk moabs on a wj.

edit: jk wheels have more backspacing than xj wheels. You may need a spacer to make it look right.

So....after reading all this I'm still left wondering. If I run an XJ axle and WJ knuckles, unit bearings and brakes would the JK rims still work?

I think the I'm gonna need the whole axle in order for this to work....

I don't see why you would. Add WJ balljoints to your list as well btw...

You MIGHT have to run some wheel spacers? After some googling, it appears all the factory JK wheels are 7 or 7.5 inches wide with a backspacing of 6.25". So you could pick up a set of 1" 5x5 wheel spacers and they'd fit almost exactly like an XJ wheel would on a normal WJ swap, except for the unit bearing / spacer differences.

I can pick up a complete beam for $89.00 at the pull-a-part here. The spacers would work also but by time I buy WJ ball joints and the spacers, I would be close to the new beam. Just so happens the PAP does have the beam I would need because I already pulled the Unit bearings from it. Plus I could then run the entire WJ steering.

I can pick up a complete beam for $89.00 at the pull-a-part here. The spacers would work also but by time I buy WJ ball joints and the spacers, I would be close to the new beam. Just so happens the PAP does have the beam I would need because I already pulled the Unit bearings from it. Plus I could then run the entire WJ steering.

An entire beam with outers and all? Holy crap, that's cheap.

Back