• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ knuckle and brake swap, new question...

Yes you will.. Mine is an overlanding style build and I'm at around 4200 lbs. Built 30 and 1/4 ton 44, armour, long arms, 265/75-16 tires. No weight/ gear inside to speak of. That's no passengers, half tank fuel, weighed at hwy weigh station.

Seems like weight & budget are tied somehow. My low-buck XJ took me everywhere I ever wanted to go and all I ever added in weight I could probably deadlift.

Well mine did come in 400 pounds over weight and 30k or so over budget. Maybe something to that.

Makes sense... the more money you spend the more steel you are adding either outright with new metal (stiffeners) or upgrading parts (larger brakes heavier than stock). Then add new equipment and that adds more.

The ARB bar and WARN M8000 on the front of my rig probably weighs around 150 lbs... versus stock bumper at what, 20 lbs if that?

The rear C-Rok bumper weighs easily 80 lbs or so versus stock at what, 10 lbs... Add a swing out at ~35 lbs (?) and an upsized spare that weighs 20-30 lbs heavier than stock...

Sliders... ~100 lbs?

Long arms versus pressed steel stock arms... with belly pan probably easily 100 lbs difference.

It adds up fast.

Cal, guessing you have what, 200 lbs in a cage in your rig? I don't have a cage in mine, I'll mini-cage the cargo area eventually and I expect that'll add ~100 lbs.

I don't even want to guess what my budget has been. Probably similar to Cal but without engine work costs. Maybe if I don't put a number to it I won't cry.

Last edited:
Mine weighs that little with 31s and a factory tire swing with matching spare. I'll gain from swapping to a real rear bumper with tire carrier (but less than 100#), I'll gain because of the ARB bullbar and winch with synthetic line (but only in the 150# range), and between 50-75# for the long arm kit. The transmission and transfercase upgrades might gain me 25#, the 44 rear maybe up to 50#, if I go 44 front it might add another 100# over the 30... And frame plating isn't stupid heavy, less than 100# including welds... That totals maybe 600# added...

Sounds about right. Building an axle makes it heavier of course. Truss the 30, welded on skids, air lockers are really heavy/dense, I have a full float axle kit in my rear axle that adds a lot of weight as well, the hub assembly is equally heavy to the hub assembly on the front, which are again substantially heavier than the stock unibearings. My rear disks are likely heavier than the chintzy 10" drums that the Jeep came with.

It all adds up - and burns fuel. LOL

FWIW, I lost good number of pounds doing an aftermarket exhaust. Factory exhaust manifold is very heavy for what it is.

I probably will put a header on it and full 2 1/2" exhaust. Eventually I'm going to build a stroker for it. Right now it has a 2.5 in it. The 2.9 kit from 505 Performance is supposed to be good for pretty much stock 4.0 power with zero conversion, lighter weight, and more mileage as long as I behave...

Everything I've read says avoid 505. Bunch of hacks.

What year is your XJ?

I don't even want to guess what my budget has been. Probably similar to Cal but without engine work costs. Maybe if I don't put a number to it I won't cry.

Engine, trans, t-case and axles arent part of my budget. That was all donated. ;)

LOL - that's scary in a way.

Since we live in North America for the most part, I think Upcountry suspension + 235s + skid plates is enough for expo. Brake upgrades as you please - I really dug having WJ / ZJ stuff - and done. If I lived in Capetown and wanted to get to Cairo, that might change things.
Having done coast to coast, Boulder Mountain to Capital Reef, Moab to Durango & a bunch of other trips... a stock Jeep is already an expo travel rig.

Since we live in North America for the most part, I think Upcountry suspension + 235s + skid plates is enough for expo. Brake upgrades as you please - I really dug having WJ / ZJ stuff - and done. If I lived in Capetown and wanted to get to Cairo, that might change things.
Having done coast to coast, Boulder Mountain to Capital Reef, Moab to Durango & a bunch of other trips... a stock Jeep is already an expo travel rig.

This. when i had 235 and stock skids and a rear limited slip, my XJ would impress me on some trails i probably had no business being on. that being said, being reliable enough to handle mild to moderate trails in a modestly built XJ for long trips is all you need.

Mine is currently on Upcountry coils with bastard packs on 31s. I have a 4 link long arm and set of Napier flares waiting to go on when I'm finished painting the header panel for the 2000 nose conversion. I'm probably going to 3" BDS coils and full leafs then to 33s...
It does a lot now, but I know how much difference the step up from 31s to 33s makes with the driveability on and offroad. And my spring rate front to rear currently isn't balanced, I don't like how it rides or handles weight, a teenage boy in the backseat makes the shocks bottom out on a speedbump...
Besides, they look better on 33s...

Back