• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ fuel tank removal.

Johnnie Walker

Piece of Fish!
NAXJA Member
I know some of you own / have worked on these. How difficult a task is this? Any writeups? Tips? Tool requirements? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Not a bad job. Mine was a 99 and the fuel line connectors were leaking. Hitch has to come off. I remember having to take some of the bumper cover off. The whole thing is pretty intuitive once you get in there. There will be a ton of dirt that falls in your face. I also couldn't find the replacement lines anywhere and just used fuel injection hose clamps if that's why you're in there. I just used sockets and wrenches. Nothing special. The fuel lines will need a tool, but only if you need to get the tank out from under the vehicle. There is plenty of slack in the lines to drop it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Do you remember any wrench/socket sizes used? It is being remlved from a parts vehicle to go into a running vehicle. But in a semi-crappy place to work on stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sorry, It was too long ago. I sold the jeep 3 years ago. I can't even remember metric or standard. I don't think I used anything unusual like 1 1/8" or something outside a normal complete set of sockets. The tank sits on the skid though. No straps. The bolts must come out.

Unlike the XJ tanks it comes out with the skidplate, you dont need to un-do the straps. See picture:

215094d1381184647-02-wj-overland-build-image-3185479122.jpg

Bolts along the sides (why you need to remove the hitch too, same bolts) and a few in the back. Dont know the exact sizes but its nothing that big. Will be metric.

Back