• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ 4.7L V8 swap into XJ?

Woah... by no means was I suggesting running an AW4 behind an LS1, I'm just saying that the trans makes all the difference. BTW "4 speed hydramatic" means "4L... something" (as in GM has been making "hydramatic" trans's since the early 40's), not an AW4 by Aisin. I didn't mean to confuse. I agree however, an XJ with an LS1 and a T56 would be awesome...

Ok, On this board it is usually safe to assume that is what most people mean, AW4, that is. If I am going to go to that much work to set an LSx series motor in, I figure I might as well go with a manual behind it. Even an NV4500 would be easy compared to trying to cram the actual motor and get gauges and wiring to work.

Different strokes for different folks.

I certainly wouldn't waste my time putting a manual transmission behind a LSx in a XJ. I'd go the 4L60 route so fast it'd make your head spin. As far as manuals go, a sloppy truck tranny like a NV4500? Yuck. If I want that driving experience I'll go rent a U-Haul, thanks.

Does the T56 come in a truck variant with decent gearing? I don't think so but I'm not up on manuals.

I certainly wouldn't waste my time putting a manual transmission behind a LSx in a XJ. I'd go the 4L60 route so fast it'd make your head spin. As far as manuals go, a sloppy truck tranny like a NV4500? Yuck. If I want that driving experience I'll go rent a U-Haul, thanks.

Does the T56 come in a truck variant with decent gearing? I don't think so but I'm not up on manuals.

nope, it did not. I used NV4500 as an example because most people will recognize it as being a beefy manual 4wd available tranny. If I ever had the money for this it would get a t-56, preferably out of a viper or a terminator. Supposedly they are a tad stronger than the chebbie ones. But I am not sure on that. Besides it would be going into a 2wd truck in my case

I definitely agree the slush box is the way to go for wheelin' purposes, the street is another story. If I was considering the LSx I'd really look into a 6L80 or a 6L90. There's def some complicated electronics there but it would be so worth it. There's a bunch of guys on the GM forums trying to get them into their old Camaro's and GTO's...

soo i been looking around for conversion engine mounts for a older la block (older mopar 360) and havent been able to find any. i got a 360 out of a winabego a for cheap and a nv4500dh to put behind it for my xj.

so any one got any idea for engine mounts?

im sorry you feel this way. i just guess that some of us have enough brain power to poerate left foot and right hand at the same time.

1987 sb 350 L98 in my 89 cherokee. 15city 18hwy with 31's and 355 gearing it will get better gas mileage when it gets regeared.
what trans you using to get thou's miles?

I recently gave her a tune up and modified the cat. I get 17 18city and 21 hwy. It is a nv4500trans 5speed with .73 overdrive. I sit at 1900 at 60mph and 80mph at 2500rpm. Gear kinda tall for an offroad vehicle but i plan on adding a supercharger in the future so i can be competitive off and on road.

im sorry you feel this way. i just guess that some of us have enough brain power to poerate left foot and right hand at the same time.

LOL Your attempt at humour is pathetic. Here's a hint: quality laughs don't come from lame personal attacks. Additionally, your comment wasn't really required at this point of the conversation.

I can operate a clutch just fine thanks.

I recently gave her a tune up and modified the cat. I get 17 18city and 21 hwy. It is a nv4500trans 5speed with .73 overdrive. I sit at 1900 at 60mph and 80mph at 2500rpm. Gear kinda tall for an offroad vehicle but i plan on adding a supercharger in the future so i can be competitive off and on road.

very nice. soo what gears are you wanting to go to? what axles you runnin? dose the shifter come out the stock location? got any picts of the inside or the trans cross member? what tcase you using? i was thinking about using a ford np205

i might jump to 33's but i might just stick with 31's so i dont have so much parasitic drivetrain loss. I occasional go offroad only because i live in ohio and there isnt anywhere to wheel unless i drive atleast 2hrs. I might just stick with 355's i got just for mpg since this is my year round daily driver. d60rear d44 front, shifter comes out of stock location. No center console. Stock cummins stick so it almost comes up over the dash. np231

jeep001.jpg

jeep002.jpg

jeep003.jpg

How does that saying go? "GM's TPI is the best torque range truck engine they never made."

Can you hazard a guess at how much space there is between the serp assembly and the back of the fan? Fist width or so maybe?

It would be interesting to know if the heads on a ChryCo 4.7 V-8 would clear the master cylinder and such.

That's just it - how often do you need to wring a truck out past 4500 RPM? Perfect set up for a truck IMO.

Back