• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring for taurus fan please!

why put different t stat in that can throw the ecm off and dump more fuel in causing it to run hotter?

how can the fan clutch cool the engine when say i park for a few mins shut my engine off to take pictures of riders ahead or behind me?

tow cooler? say i am towing in traffic on a hill temp starts to really crank up because traffic is crawling say on 4th of july weekend do i put it in neutral and hit the gas to get the mech fan spinning? or flip a switch to turn a electric fan on high?

the mauler you are no help! please move along to the next thread!
i asked for help on a wire setup... not your advice how to modifiy my jeep.

not sure why a few are sooooo against pulling the mechanical and putting a large electric fan in.

Because we have been there and done that...and returned to the stock fan and clutch.

IMO, a lot of electric fans are installed when the problem is an inadequate radiator and, many times, along with too small a set of coolers for the transmission and steering.
The other issue is that it adds a lot of extra complexity and a another level of stress to the electrical system, especially the alternator, all in an effort to replaced the mechanical fan.
It you go ahead with this project, try do do everything a first class way.
Big wires, everything is fused and upgraded alternator wires.
You might want to carry an extra alternator.

All my switches are Carling Contura V's.

I would still say if you want to run that fan, get a PWM controller.

From there, you can have a switch, or dual rocker switch that would allow for low, high, and off.

You're going to regret, and have issues, with one speed being on/off.

High can very well be too much, and low might not be enough.

I understand how you list it out is how you "want" it, but how you're envisioning it isn't going to give you the most positive results, and possibly end up with burnt relays/switches.

The more I read on this the more I can see the computer using the high speed on the fan and let the user control when the computer doesn't want it. I'll draw up a diagram and post a pic of what I'm talking about. But 2 relays, one has a normally closed and normally open, the other has a normally open. The ecu uses the relay with the nc and use the nc to provide the low side power for the low speed relay. But I'll post a pic when I got it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7cg0df8i11flhw/Photo May 04, 9 10 00 PM.jpg?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
why put different t stat in that can throw the ecm off and dump more fuel in causing it to run hotter?

how can the fan clutch cool the engine when say i park for a few mins shut my engine off to take pictures of riders ahead or behind me?

tow cooler? say i am towing in traffic on a hill temp starts to really crank up because traffic is crawling say on 4th of july weekend do i put it in neutral and hit the gas to get the mech fan spinning? or flip a switch to turn a electric fan on high?

the mauler you are no help! please move along to the next thread!
i asked for help on a wire setup... not your advice how to modifiy my jeep.

I guess I have experienced opposite results while wheeling in the SE at slow speeds and driving through mountains to trails and parks. I have a 180* tstat and my jeep will only heat up beyond 210 on steep grades, loaded full of stuff for the weekend or on long uphill rock climbs on the trail. I don't expect the cooling system to maintain sub-210 degrees under those conditions.

When I drive in the winter I just add a air dam in front of half of my radiator and let the thermostat do its thing. A lot of people do that as it is a simple solution to having an adequate cooling system for warmer weather.

Why shut your engine off for a few minutes just to take some pictures? Leave the system on so it can keep the engine from soaking heat. The clutch fan and electric fan should have no problem keeping the engine cool. If that is an issue then it is time to start with basic maintenance. NAXJA doesn't support it but do some internet detective work and you can find a free Service Manual for your cherokee.

and if traffic is crawling on a steep hill while towing, put that baby in 4lo :scottm:

I guess I have experienced opposite results while wheeling in the SE at slow speeds and driving through mountains to trails and parks. I have a 180* tstat and my jeep will only heat up beyond 210 on steep grades, loaded full of stuff for the weekend or on long uphill rock climbs on the trail. I don't expect the cooling system to maintain sub-210 degrees under those conditions.

When I drive in the winter I just add a air dam in front of half of my radiator and let the thermostat do its thing. A lot of people do that as it is a simple solution to having an adequate cooling system for warmer weather.

Why shut your engine off for a few minutes just to take some pictures? Leave the system on so it can keep the engine from soaking heat. The clutch fan and electric fan should have no problem keeping the engine cool. If that is an issue then it is time to start with basic maintenance. NAXJA doesn't support it but do some internet detective work and you can find a free Service Manual for your cherokee.

and if traffic is crawling on a steep hill while towing, put that baby in 4lo :scottm:

I agree with the maintenance of the system but on a side note, I was pulling about 5000 pounds through southern Missouri on my hay to Illinois. That's a crap load of weight or a Cherokee but with my stroker motor I didn't have an issue going. The scary part was stopping. I was engine breaking and foot breaking all the hills. Got to a traffic jam at the bottom of about a 2 mile steep hill. Went to take off and after sitting with it off for about 10 min before people started moving the trans got heat soaked and was slippy. I went for 4lo and crawled up that hill at about 10-15. Kinda fast for 4 lo but the case is fine today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and if traffic is crawling on a steep hill while towing, put that baby in 4lo
Not such a great idea if on pavement, unless you have locking front hubs or a vacuum disconnect front axle.

Bought an xj with a taurus fan....immediately switched back to stock setup. While the taurus fan does pull a lot of air, if you have a relay/wiring/fan motor failure....you're screwed.

At least with a stock xj fan set up, you would need multiple failures at the same time to prevent driving home.

My $.02

not sure how to say this once again i don't have a cooling problem unless of course i am beating on the jeep and pushing it hard then the ac fan clicks on and brings it back down.

i simply want to do this upgrade because I see benefits to it and my driving/wheeling.
i have NO maintence issue, 3 row radiator, Hayden tranny cooler, stock tranny cooler that is now my ps cooler, 136 alternator and just upgraded to 4 gauge welding wire throughout system. "in fact i do carry a spare alternator as the taconite up here kills alternators quickly"

i am just looking for a wiring setup as a helping guide as i had searched and found dozens! blakews2217 thanks for posting that diagram, I'm started to make room in my garage i plan to build a stroker engine this fall and winter.

Back