• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wires and plugs

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Time for another tune up on the old '96 XJ 4.0 and I'm looking for advice on what plug wires to get. I have the usual local parts stores to choose from...

auto zone
advance
koi
o' reilly's
napa
car quest

Willing to spend a little more on quality but mostly just want to avoid any brands that are known junk. Any advice on reasonably good plug wires at these stores? Thanks.

Advance Auto + coupon from shopathome.com. Definitely not Bosch for spark plugs, wires they are fine. NGK or Champion are good for plugs for the 4.0L. NGK also makes decent wires if you can find them.

I used the NGK. Good. Then upped the coil to a Accell unit...good.
Then, I added Taylor wires... wow... what a difference. It let the voltage do it's thing and the throttle response was noticeable once the wires were on. I did them one at a time for learning/diagnosis reasons.

I can't think any other combination would make me happier.

92 XJ aw4.

Couple of questions for the audience without hijacking the thread.

1 anybody notice a difference between plugs with single, dual or quad points?

2. Any brand of entire distributor better or worse for off road use?

3. Coils...Accell, OEM, etc....

4. Wires.... Bigger is always better???

Carquest premium/"blue box". The way our heeps are, the factory coil/system is already basically optimal.
As far as plugs, have heard that the OBD2 models prefer NGK. And "single point plug" as they are what came from the factory. If you know anything about electricity, then you know current follows the path of least resistance. So it only travels through one of the points.

Single plug point plugs. Brass terminal cap. Get good quality cables. I would leave the coil unless there is a problem.

Good advice. Champion or NGK copper plugs (verify gap at .035 before installing), quality distributor cap with brass contacts, quality rotor and plug wires.

I'm not a big fan of the upgrade coils like Accel, etc. I've seen a high failure rate with them. The stock 4.0 does just fine with an OEM style coil. The factory coil often lasts a very long time, so I don't consider replacing the coil as necessary for a tuneup.

Last edited:
NKGs are probably fine. Champion is what seems to always be recommended. Standard copper for the distributor 4.0ltrs, and Platinum on the coil rail 4.0ltrs...

Do you have a "why" for the single point plugs? As far as the coil, I was always told that if you don't upgrade that, then any improvements you make down stream, don't matter.

Because that is what the 4.0L runs best on. Doesn't need any thing like multi electrode plugs or fancy metal tips. There have been problems associated with multi electrode plugs.

I've got multiple advice to get single point plugs and NGKs. What specific NGKs should I be looking for? Have just as many suggestions for the Champion plugs. Any difference between the Champions and the NGKs?

Not sure what this advice means...'and Platinum on the coil rail 4.0ltrs...'

Can anyone suggest a coil that fits this advice?

I've got multiple advice to get single point plugs and NGKs. What specific NGKs should I be looking for? Have just as many suggestions for the Champion plugs. Any difference between the Champions and the NGKs?

Not sure what this advice means...'and Platinum on the coil rail 4.0ltrs...'

Can anyone suggest a coil that fits this advice?

When you go to the parts store, have them look up parts for your vehicle. Just run stock, champion or ngk.
00-01 had DIS, or coil packs. Up to 99 had a dizzy and single coil. If your coil is fine, do not bother.

Ever since I had dirt bikes fouling out on Champions, but not NGK's, I've prefered NGK. For normal use, I just use the V-power line. More money is wasted with fancier ones. Usually bur from rockauto.

I have a guy really pushing the advice to look into these higher end Autolite plugs. His advice...

'Three great spark plugs for your '96 XJ 4.0 include the platinum tipped Autolite AP985 or Champion 3034. Both will perform well for 100k miles. Or if you want them to last 200k miles, pay a little more for the iridium tipped Autolite XP985.'

Later in the same thread when I asked about one of the Champion plugs (not the 3034s he mentioned), he responded...

'Why go for those when for an extra buck or so per plug you can have plugs that will outperform the conventional plugs, fire more reliably in difficult situations, and perform well for 100k miles, 3X as long. Champion 3034 or Autolite AP985. Your XJ engine will run superbly on either.'

I'm leaning toward the copper NGKs people have mentioned. So I'm wondering, what's the case for the high end Autolites he's talking about vs. the copper NGKs?

The 4.0l has no use for platinum or iridium plugs. They just last longer with no benefit towards the actual spark. You will see no perfomance increase only a longer life. And the plugs are so easy to change why even bother?

The 4.0l has no use for platinum or iridium plugs. They just last longer with no benefit towards the actual spark. You will see no perfomance increase only a longer life. And the plugs are so easy to change why even bother?

Agreed! We don't have high-revving dual overhead cam motors... so why bother w/the high-dollar plugs. The NGK U-Groove Coppers are great plugs and ~ $2 each. I just can't imagine running plugs for 100K - 200K miles... no mater what they're made of.

Taylor plug wires are top notch! If you are even somewhat handy w/some wire strippers/crimpers you can get a set of 'universal' fit wires and make them fit like a glove to your rig. I recently purchased a set of the Taylor 8mm Universal V8 wires f/ Jegs for ~ $65. Honestly for that price you can't go wrong and you get 3 extra plug wires to boot for future use if you have some issues.

Back