• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield gasket sealant

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Have an 02 Taurus that's leaking water at the top of the windshield, and the gasket is doing this...

ZzPUiXF.jpg

It'll pretty much pull out all the way around the windshield. Guess I need to take it all out, clean the edge of the windshield interface with a degreaser and nylon brush, pump a bunch of sealant in there and reinstall the gasket.

What kind of cleaner and sealant should I use for this job? Any advice appreciated.

Here;s what I did to the seal around my 88XJ windshield that worked well for me. My chrome strips, around the windhield, were always coming loose and undone. So one day I pulled all the chrome strips and chucked them. Then using a scraper and brake cleaner I carefully removed as much of the bad rubber and dirt as possible. Then I bought a couple of large tubes of inexpensive BLACK URETHANE-BASED sealant, from Home Depot, that are used to seal gutters. These are the tubes that are installed in caulking guns. I taped the glass and windshield metal-frame, to minimize clean-up. I then pumped the black urethane sealant into the cleaned-up cavity; level with the windshield metal-frame and right up to and all around the entire perimeter of the glass. For the final top layer, of the black urethane sealant, I kept my finger wet with water to spread-out the sealant so that the top surface of the black urethane sealant came out real smooth. I've lost track of how long ago I did that , but it has held up nicely, seals well, and looks like it came that way from the factory. Do some test sample applications between a couple of wood pieces to get the hang of applying it. It worked very well for me and looks as good as the day I first did it.

Best regards,

CJR

Back