• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windows go down, don't come up!!!

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88', with power windows. When I got it in 97 the rear pass side window would get stuck if it went down all the way. Now after so many years they are all doing it. If it goes all the way down. Stuck. Kind of sucks when it's raining out and a pass just puts it down.
So is it the motor or something in the track. Looking to really just fix the front ones. Any help. Thanks Juice

juicexj24 said:
I have an 88', with power windows. When I got it in 97 the rear pass side window would get stuck if it went down all the way. Now after so many years they are all doing it. If it goes all the way down. Stuck. Kind of sucks when it's raining out and a pass just puts it down.
So is it the motor or something in the track. Looking to really just fix the front ones. Any help. Thanks Juice

Its the spiral cable thats part of the regulator that has rotted. It is sold seperately at the dealer. Ive done this repair to 3 XJs.

XJguy

What does it sound like? Can you hear the motors turning but the windows dont move? Or does it do nothing? If the motors are working, but the windows are not going up, the cable is probably bad and is easy to replace, if nothing is going on, then the motor may be junk.

If the motor takes them down but not up then the motors are probably not bad since they are reversible motors. My guess is its the track or the switches or wiring. If you hear the motor but the window does not go up then its the track probably has a few missing teeth at the track to window gear location when the window is down. Happened on mine. Whe I pull the window up a little and pushed the switch the good track teeth engaged and pulled window up. So I crimped the center track tube at the bottom to prevent the window from going all the way down. Now it opens to w/in 1 inch of full open and the missing teeth are never involved and the window goes up fine. If this is not your problem check the up wiring circuit and switches. One of my switches for up does not work if I push it all the way but works if I push it only 3/4 of the way. Good Luck. Greg

It is the track, My '88 did the same thing, Three choises,
1, Remember to NOT roll the window down all the way. Leave tit up an inch or so.

2, Carry a pair of needle nose pliers with you to grab and pull the window back up to it's starting point.

3. Take apart the whole door and replace the window guts.

ya the motor does still work when it's down but doesn't catch. I never put them down all the way anymore but my wife is good for one everytime it snows/rains. So just replace the track or the cable. I'll take a look at it this weekend. Well at least I don't have to replace the motor. Thanks. Are the tracks a dealer only part? Juice

if you can get to them, oil the window tracks. I have manual windows, but that made them work a lot easier on mine. Use something silicone based and it will last longer. Its easy to try, and your not out anything if it doesn't help.

My drivers side window cable was slipping, when the window was all the way down. The cable was chewed up some. I ran the window down until it was just even with the rubber wiper (moulding) and installed a hose clamp around the cable channel at the bottom. The sweet spot seemed to be just were a Y shaped brace hooked up to the cable channel, I just put a hose clamp around the whole works, as a stop. It´s been working for years.
I´ve gotten in the habit of using a spray chain oil, on the cable anytime I have the doors apart. Seems to help.

I've had to replace the tracks on both front windows on my 90. Mine has manual windows, and the track consists of a spring inside a tube. A gear at the handle meshes with the spring inside the tube. The spring acts like a gear and is moved inside the tube when the handle is turned. The problem occurs when things dry up in there and bind. You turn the handle but the spring does not want to move and is then stretched. When the gear meshes with that stretched area it slips and the window stops. You pull up on the window and you help the spring move in the track past the bad area and normal operation resumes. If the electric windows are set up the same way just with a motor on it I'd be willing to bet that's what happened. You'll have to replace the track (longest part of that job is drilling out the rivets that hold the old one in place).

Back