• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch cradles

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the thoughts on them? Ill be picking up a non winch style bumper soon. Can i rely enough on a cradle or should i get a winch style bumper when im ready for a winch? Any body actually ever used the cradle style?

Whats the thoughts on them? Ill be picking up a non winch style bumper soon. Can i rely enough on a cradle or should i get a winch style bumper when im ready for a winch? Any body actually ever used the cradle style?

Know people that run them with no problems, but also have heard of them bending and sheering off the pin in the receiver part. It makes sense that angel/side pulls can put a lot of stress on the pin holding the cradle in the receiver.

Take what you will, because the failures I have heard have been on big trucks. XJ's are not a big truck and half the weight probably as a BIG truck.:thumbup:

I have one and hate it. It sticks out too far and gets hung up on stuff. Get a winch bumper when you're ready for a winch.

Rockken do you leave it in the whole time you wheel? I thought people just put it in place when they needed to use it???

I have run a cradle winch for years. I have my rig wired for power both front and rear. I have used it more for pulling from the rear than the front. I only pull it out when needed. I am designing a custom cradle that tucks the winch up tight to the vehicle and a bit higher to optimize approach and departure angles.

I mounted a receiver in the back of my rig so the winch does not chase me around if I roll it. The receiver also has a lock on it.

I have run a cradle winch for years. I have my rig wired for power both front and rear. I have used it more for pulling from the rear than the front. I only pull it out when needed. I am designing a custom cradle that tucks the winch up tight to the vehicle and a bit higher to optimize approach and departure angles.

I mounted a receiver in the back of my rig so the winch does not chase me around if I roll it. The receiver also has a lock on it.

That is exactly what I plan to do when a winch enters the budget....:peace::thumbup:

I usually keep mine in the back. Look at the video from coloradofest09. you can see how it was getting in the way.

wow that was ridiculous....
if im not getting myself in a rediculous situation like that i should be alright?...
cuz i dont think the jeep or my driving would be capable of that lol....

Ken, why didn't you just pull the winch? It looked like you had someone elses' line hooked to you from above too (or was that yours through a snatch block?)... It looks like you would have crawled right up once you got the winch out of the way.:wierd:

By the way saw cradles at harbor freight for 40 bucks. With some added welds think those are worth a crap?

Ken, why didn't you just pull the winch? It looked like you had someone elses' line hooked to you from above too (or was that yours through a snatch block?)... It looks like you would have crawled right up once you got the winch out of the way.:wierd:

We were using both winches, mine to keep the jeep upright and troy's to move me forward. Mike, I want to hard mount my winch, so I won't be needing that multi-mount setup. That is the Warn multi-mount. PM me if you are interested. That recovery is the first time I used that winch.

Approach angle is too important to have a multi mount sticking way out front. Once you get a non winch bumper you will wish you had bought a winch bumper.

Read this thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003297

I think my bumper with the M8000 sticks out maybe 1.5" further than my stock one did.

Back