• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch behind front crossmember?

SideMount.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

They went out of buisness a while back.

Why would you do this? How in the world do you free spool it? How do you know when the cable is spooling heavy in one spot or crossed over itself and so forth? Sorry, I just see a huge PITA mounting it there, and for what, so its less practical?
I guess theres a "cool" factor to the hidden winch but at some point, its no longer cool when it becomes unpractical.

You are correct that there are puzzles Ray, including provisions for the clutch handle and visibility. But for those of us who run in deep rocks every inch saved in front (or behind) the wheels is woth it, it's not just asthetics ;)

I would think that mounting the winch up high, in front of the grill would get it out of the rocks. then just handle any cooling issues you may have.
Mine is mounted up high and while I expected to have cooling problems, Ive not had any. That just seems like a better solution to increase clearance.
Other issues I see with mounting it under the body are increased heat and mud and water (not such an issue on the west coast). It would seem the life expectancy of a winch mounted under there would be substantially shortened.
I dont know, give it a shot and see if it works out.

Yea, that was just a test fit shot. There will be some plate that goes on the front of the crossmember that the winch will bolt to. That plate will also tie into the bumper somehow. I'll end up cutting about a 2x8" rectangular hole all the way through the bumper and sleeving it with tubing for the cable to go through. A hawse fairlead will be bolted to the front and that will be the only way you'll know that a winch is even in there.

As for WHY. Well right now my approach angle is pretty good and with a big honkin winch bumper stuck out front would KILL that. With my bumper bolted up I only have about an inch of it sticking out past the grill. I dont' like the reciever mounted option as a single tube is weak not to mention it looks like poo. I've built bumpers with 2 reciever tubes and that was a pain and it still looks like poo. I dont' want to raise the winch up for clearance because then you are blocking an already small radiator. The clutch selector for the winch is clockable and I'll probably rotate it so that it is down and easier to reach. As for spooling cable when I'm done, it won't be that difficult to look underneath to see if its spooling ok. To me having it tucked, out of sight, better clearance, etc. is worth it. The solenoid pack will be under the hood and I'll have in cab controls on the dash/console.

There is a "cool factor" to having the winch tucked back there like that, but I see the practical issues as outweighing the cool factor. But by all means, go for it and post up pics when it's in. Pushing the envelope for it's own purpose is how innovations happen.

I've planned on burying my winch for years, the only reason mine isn't buried is because I lack the time, skill, and equipment to do the job at this time. I've actually planned it all out and will do it when I can.

I really like my free bumper (Loose Nuts Enterprises makes good bumpers, I won it at a raffle), it has a great shape but it sticks out pretty far. I don't consider this a design flaw because it's the nature of the beast. Being made for a consumer market you cannot expect run of the mill consumers to do extensive modification.

My goal would be a bumper shaped very similiarly to the current one but stick out no further than an OEM bumper (+/- 1"), that would be VERY nice for angles!

As for the cooling issue I'll evaluate that when I have it going, if I find it an issue it can be easily corrected with some heat sinks on the motor and a small muffin fan over the sinks.

As for mud/water I will protect it as best I can. I don't like mud and living here in California don't come across it much.

The clutch question is the most valid of all, I'm still thinking about that one.

Here is the Loose Nuts bumper with my M8000:
IMG_0002.jpg

As you can see I still need to move the solenoid box under the hood (in fact I will probably make a new one in a more convienant shape), right now it's zip tied to the grill; had to get the Jeep ready for an event and was in a hurry ;)

erics rig really does make me sick... jesus!! I am in the middle of building a bumper... I have thought about my needs as well and this write up really helps because now I can build a bumper that I want now and have the inspiration to change it later! awesome job!

Well I put the steering box back in yesterday and also installed a set of CROK steering box reinforcement plates. I still have enough room for the winch but it will be just a little bit off center to the pass side and it looks like the bottom inch or 2 will have to be trimmed off the fan shroud. You can get a winch in and out without removeing the steering box which is nice.

I'm thinking about selling my XD9000i to a buddy and buying a replacement that will fit in this location. From looking online the XD9000's are running $8-850 but a M8000 is only $550! For those of you with 8k winches, are they enough? We do mostly trail riding and rock crawling. The guy that owns this M6000 says it just doesn't have enough umph.

Just rocks and trail riding? What happens when trail riding and you get into a situation like this;

40600011a.jpg

I got high centered on a sunken log. If my winch had been located where you plan to mount yours, I would have had to swim to get to the winch and it would have been totally under water and mud.

I have to agree with the other, your location just doesn't seem practicle from a wheelin' perspective.

If you wheel in rocks it makes MUCH MORE SENSE than a winch taht sticks out. IF I can have a winch and a bumper that sticks out no more than 1" I'd be happy to have it occasionally be inconvienant.

I wheel in rocks, potentially deep rocks ;)

My winch will be located behind the cross member also. I do not want the 8-10" sticking out like most bumpers do. Having the winch closer and lower helps with approach angles and center of gravity.

As for being stuck in water/mud, you still have to get out in that to attach your cable/rope. At that point, what does it matter if you have to reach your arm underneath to freespool the drum? Or just feed out the line with the controller.

Back