• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Win 7 Question...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
ThinkPad T520i Win7Pro64, more specifics if you need them (but I doubt it.)

How can I tell Windoze that I am an administrator, so stop telling me I need to give permission to move/delete/whatever a given file? I've tried to set attrib -r globally, but is there some *nix-type file permission setup that I'm missing? If so, how can I correct it - globally?

Damned thing's driving me batty, and I don't have tech books around later than NT4/98SE...

you can disable the UAC.

then your account acts like an admin account just like in XP.

if you want to globally change file permissions you'll need to write a batch file using the attrib command.

what exactly are you trying to modify?
there are some files in win7 that even the attrib command won't touch, unless you're booted to the recovery console.

Start>Control Panel>User Accounts then select your account if it doesn't do it by default. Click on change user account control settings, move the slider down to never notify and hit ok. It will pop up with the window wanting permission to do it so just give it permission then reboot and problem should be solved.

My account is an Admin account - it is on all machines around here (and those that people bring by for me to work on.)

What I'm trying to correct is the irritating little pop-up that says "You must be an Admin to do this" that I get when trying to delete or move some files around. These are common data files (.pdf, .mp3, .avi, and the like) that shouldn't have any special protections on them.

It's like when you used to get "This file is set to read-only" status on older versions of Windoze, but I've done the GUI equivalent of "attrib *.* -r" in the relevant directories, so that's not it.

Here's what I get - "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this file," then an oversized icon, then file data, and "Continue/Skip/Cancel" buttons at the bottom. The title bar for the window says "File Access Denied," and the warning icon is the yellow caution one.

Clicking the "Continue" button will allow me to do the action, but I can't see why I should have to do it. With a couple of terabytes of datafiles floating around (that do not require protection,) I don't see why I shouldn't be able to strip that flag out entirely - or am I missing something?

I'm nowhere near as "up" on Win7 as I was with 95/98/NT/2K...

Start>Control Panel>User Accounts then select your account if it doesn't do it by default. Click on change user account control settings, move the slider down to never notify and hit ok. It will pop up with the window wanting permission to do it so just give it permission then reboot and problem should be solved.

Of course it will want to reboot - I'm always getting that with updates.

Let me get a few things done first, then I'll try that. (I get tired of having to restart Windoze just because it thinks I need to, and I get irritated when it does it without my knowledge or permissions.

(There should be an option to force no restart until you see what's going on, or a global "save action" script before it trashes anything I've got running overday...)

Hm.

I'm looking at that screen, here are the four settings:
- Always Notify me when programmes try to install software or make changes to my computer; or I make changes to Windoze settings.
- Default: notify me only when programmes try to make changes to my computer
- Notify me only when programmes try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop.)
- Never notify.

The problem comes when I try to move or delete files, not when some programme tries to. I'm talking about selecting files in Explorer myself, drag-and-drop, and the system comes up telling me I need to give Admin permission to do it. I am an Admin, so separate permission should not be needed.

Hmm it sounds like you're not truly an admin or windows doesn't seem to think you are, I thought you were referring to the pop up window from the UAC that was bothering you. Have you checked to ensure that you truly are an admin instead of relying on the user accounts window alone? There should be an option in the user accounts window that says manage user accounts that will open up the traditional local users and groups window and should show the default admin account and then your account plus whatever else is on there. Make sure it shows that you're part of the administrators group there as I've got local admin rights on my work laptop running 7 ent 64bit and don't get any popup windows except the traditional are you sure you want to delete this before sending to recycle bin. Which that can be removed by going to the properties of the recycle bin and unchecking the display delete confirmation option.

Yerf. They should never have abandoned 2K - XP and 7 are both a pain...

Per the control panel, I'm shown as an Administrator, and I can't change my account type back to a "Standard User" (mine is the first account I setup on every machine, and I make myself an admin simply because I've got to fix everything. If I have the option to set permissions, I'll set myself to "unlimited.")

Searching the Control Panel window for "file permissions" takes me to "Parental Controls" - I do not wish to add controls, I wish to remove them.

I just found "something" doing a little more digging around, there's a "Security" tab on the Properties window for files and folders.

If I have to go through and reset everything individually and manually, I'm going to have to kill someone.

Why can't there be a global way to check and correct issues like this?

Were the files created on your machine?

if not, try taking ownership of the files.
You may be an admin, but you may not own the files. Everytime you come across a file you don't own it will do the UAC screen asking for permission to change ownership.

to check:
goto the folder properties
security
advanced
owner
edit

cheange owner to your account
make sure you hit the box for subcontainers
wait

Were the files created on your machine?

if not, try taking ownership of the files.
You may be an admin, but you may not own the files. Everytime you come across a file you don't own it will do the UAC screen asking for permission to change ownership.

to check:
goto the folder properties
security
advanced
owner
edit

cheange owner to your account
make sure you hit the box for subcontainers
wait

Testing now - if it works, I'll write this on a card!

I really didn't want to go through a CHOWN process on each individual damned file! The higher up in the tree I can do this, the easier all around it is. And, it seemed to go rather quickly on my Video folder!

(No, I don't "originally own" all of the files - but I suppose this will be an effective CHOWN to correct that little nuisance. *nix hides things by being cryptic, but it can be found. Windoze hides things for no good reason...)

Thanks!

Back