• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will VIN tell me if its Upcountry?

Dragline

NAXJA Forum User
Found a ZJ with a V8 in the Junkyard. Can anyone tell me if it has the Upcountry suspension from the VIN:
IJ4GZ78Y5RCIII446

(The I's may be 1's)

i used...

http://jeep.avtograd.ru/VIN/vin_en.asp

and the "I"s should be "1"s

Position Symbol Name Value
1 1 Country : USA
2 J Manufacturer: Jeep (USA)
3 4 Type: MPV
4 G GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating ) :2273-2727 kg
5 Z Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ) - 4WD
6 7 Series: Limited
7 8 Body type 4-door
8 Y Engine 5,2 litres, V-8, multipoint injection
9 5 Control digit: Has passed check
10 R Year: 1994
11 C Plant: Detroit (Jefferson North)
12-17 111446 Serial number 111446

Thanks but that doesn't tell me if it had UC suspension or not.

P.S
I guess this got moved because I'm asking about a ZJ ???????
Why would I ask about a junked ZJ having Upcountry springs, if I wasn't going to put them on an XJ ????? Sounds like it should have stayed in modified tech to me.

94-98 ZJ's had an Up-Counrtry option. It came with full skids, tow hooks and maybe some other stuff. XJ coil springs have a 2 letter code on a paper tag. The first letter is different for UpCountry. Stock is first letter F and Up-Country is first letter G. I think ZJ's use the same letter system. V8 coils are supposed to give about the same amount of lift as 4.0L Up-Country springs when put in an XJ. The may ride more firmly due to the higher spring rate.

Yes, ZJs had the UPCOUNTRY. Won't show up on the VIN, but will on the build sheets. Same as the XJ, the UPCOUNTRY package is AWE. My 95 ZJ Laredo has the Upcountry, skidplates, towing package and offroad group. It was supposed to come with larger tires and longer travel shocks, but multiple previous owners have diluted it to stock ZJ shocks and 235/75R-15 BFG A/Ts. I bought it this past summer and haven't done anything with it yet. Heres a pic though... Never mind the snow... Yes, it sits higher than a stock ZJ. :wave:

On a fender tag, sometimes they list AWE for the Upcountry...

SnowyOctZJ001m.jpg

Last edited:
neonrog said:
"Yes, ZJs had the UPCOUNTRY. Won't show up on the VIN, but will on the build sheets. "

Dealer build sheet is the way to go. You can also get new '98 ZJ 5.9 V8 coils (2" of lift on an XJ) from the dealer if you can supply them with a VIN.

Blaine B. said:
Nice.

You have to give the dealer a vin to buy the ZJ coils?

Apparently so in most dealerships if you want to buy them new. I was told it was because there were so many different part numbers. Makes you wonder how they get the rest of the job done, except the collecting the money part... no problems there!

Back