• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will I need axle shims?

Rocker

NAXJA Forum User
98XJ 4.0 Planning RE 4.5" lift w/sye + CV driveshaft

Will I absolutely need to use degree shims to correct the pinion angle or is there a chance they will be unecessary? I will measure but how many degrees did others doing a similar lift need to correct the angle? Thanks

if your cv driveshaft has acceptable angles(see tom woods driveshafts website for info) through out suspension travel, and you have sye then you shouldn't need shims.

Rocker - I've read the hell out of this topic as it'll likely be my next mod. The bottom line is, yes, it is likely you will need to shim, and you'll really have to measure to determine how much.

There are a ton of variables between XJ's and lift kits that make other's experiences only vaguely applicable to you. It doesn't seem to be uncommon for 2 XJ's of the same year with the same lift to require different shim amounts.

Back