• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why is a Jeep a truck

casm said:
Same here - they're just Jeeps, not trucks, though the various J-trucks and Comanche probably throw that one for a loop, too. And then there's the CJ-10...

And then there's Virginia.....where my MJ is registered as a car, not a truck. I'm not complaining tho, 'cause it's cheaper that way :laugh3:

Jeff

Eagle said:
Because it's not a "car."
as far as the boneyard I visited on Sunday is concerned, I pulled the front axle housing of of a car :D (they asked me if it was a car or a truck and I said a car :D). That saved me a few bucks ;)

bshaw said:
I think it depends on the insurance companies really.
Right. They frequently choose how they'll define your vehicle, and are legally able to do so as long as they stay within your state's definitions of body types.

rstarch345 said:
No sh__t Sherlock!

You really shouldn't make comments like that especially since you've only made 60 something posts around here. You obviously don't know your way around these forums because if you did you would know that Eagle is a master when it comes to XJ/MJ's! He has probably responded to 75% of my questions with a very informative answer no matter how basic or "noobie" it was. I know you don't have a whole lot of social interaction in the crap hole of Norton, but someone like Eagle commands respect around here.

Eagle for president!

Burley

Kejtar said:
as far as the boneyard I visited on Sunday is concerned, I pulled the front axle housing of of a car :D (they asked me if it was a car or a truck and I said a car :D). That saved me a few bucks ;)
everytime I put an XJ D44 from a PickNPull I tell them "it's from an AMC station wagon". unfotuneately it rarely works because they tag most of the undercarraige with different colors of spray paint to designate the vehicle type, and whoever does that has decided that they're trucks/suvs.

Burley said:
You really shouldn't make comments like that especially since you've only made 60 something posts around here. You obviously don't know your way around these forums because if you did you would know that Eagle is a master when it comes to XJ/MJ's! He has probably responded to 75% of my questions with a very informative answer no matter how basic or "noobie" it was. I know you don't have a whole lot of social interaction in the crap hole of Norton, but someone like Eagle commands respect around here.

Eagle for president!

Burley

Get your nose out of Eagles ass!!:).........unless of course he likes it??

BrettM said:
everytime I put an XJ D44 from a PickNPull I tell them "it's from an AMC station wagon". unfotuneately it rarely works because they tag most of the undercarraige with different colors of spray paint to designate the vehicle type, and whoever does that has decided that they're trucks/suvs.
How much do they charge you? Down here if you pull the 44 yourself it's between $125 and $150. Now my front housing on the other hand, cost me only $75 :D :D

Kejtar said:
How much do they charge you? Down here if you pull the 44 yourself it's between $125 and $150. Now my front housing on the other hand, cost me only $75 :D :D
I think it's a little over 100 for a truck rear, then they add core charge, enviromental fees, tax, etc and you usually get out for about the same as you're paying.

xjnation said:
xj and zj's are both listed for insurance and most states registrations as station wagons. hence a grocery getter

Well if you think about it this way it makes sense.
The Willy's station wagon became(was replaced by) the Wagoneer which in a round about sort of way became the XJ and in the same sort of manner the ZJ.

Intelectual value: two cents.

When AMC released the thing in 1984, the term "SUV" hadn't been foisted upon us yet, and it was designated by AMC as an "MPV" - for "Multi-Purpose Vehicle."

Why do I consider it a truck? It has a useful towing capacity, useful cargo space, useful four-wheel-drive, useful power at low RPM, and the engine seems be optimised more for torque than for horsepower - done pretty much the way I'd do it, if I was in charge.

As I recall, AAA considers all of my XJ's to be "wagons" rather than "SUVs" as well - which, I'm sure, saves quite a bit. My insurance will go down even more when I return to the United States (I'm an Expat in California...)

Now, if I were still in Indiana, I'd register them as trucks - the insurance would probably go down, and the damn seat belt law would cease to be an issue (this is based on old knowledge tho - I expatraited to CA in 1990...) The whole damn seat belt issue is matter for another discussion tho, and serves as an excellent example of my basic nature as a contrarian.

5-90

Sorry if I peed in someone's Cheerios, but I was making an obviously deficient attempt at levity.

In Connecticut XJs are registered as station wagons, too. But a station wagon is a "car." Each state is different, but the reference to XJs, Jeeps, and SUVs in general as "trucks" transcends state boundaries. It's more of a status symbol, a way of separating the off-road community from the grocery-getter community.

Why do we all jump on newbies who come on here and ask a question about their "car"? Because his state registers it as a truck or as an SUV? Doubtful. We tell him (or her) that an XJ is a truck or a Jeep because we just don't think of them as "cars," and that's the bottom line.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. (Despite my DMV!)

Eagle said:
Sorry if I peed in someone's Cheerios, but I was making an obviously deficient attempt at levity.

Wrong. Everyone got it but him. I'm actually glad to see your more dry, yet witty side come out in the last few months. I knew it was there.

Eagle said:
Why do we all jump on newbies who come on here and ask a question about their "car"? Because his state registers it as a truck or as an SUV? Doubtful. We tell him (or her) that an XJ is a truck or a Jeep because we just don't think of them as "cars," and that's the bottom line.

we don't. That guy was asking for it. Someone needed to set him strait. That kind of guy WRECKS it for every other NEWB that comes in here with good intentions, and questions.

eagle said:
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. (Despite my DMV!)

good. You change it now and We'd have some problems ;)

87CherokeeChief said:
Get your nose out of Eagles ass!!:).........unless of course he likes it??

Hey I owe the guy a little ass kissin'! Besides when he kicks off I hope to inherit his Brittany Spears memorabilia collection. :laugh3:

Burley

Burley said:
Hey I owe the guy a little ass kissin'! Besides when he kicks off I hope to inherit his Brittany Spears memorabilia collection. :laugh3:

Burley
Brittany who?

You mean I've been saving up all this Olsen twins crappola and now everybody's hot for Brittany?

My XJ is a "station wagon" in Maine, a non-commercial "light truck" in Massachusetts, and an "SUV" in Colorado. Go figure.
The "station wagon" designation had the cheapest insurance rates.
Willys/Jeep created a new type of vehicle that doesn't fit traditional categories, and that's part of why I like it. :D
I consider it to by a hybrid utility/offroad vehicle that has many aspects of a truck without the traditional truck frame.

I met a woman last weekend who had a Wrangler.
She made fun of my XJ, saying that it was "not a real Jeep".
I informed her about the similarities in design and parts.
She didn't really get it. She continued with her disparaging comments.
"It's an SUV" she said. "...a family car."
I informed her about the different classifications, and shared with her my opinion that it was arbitrary and irrelevant how others classified my Jeep.

She then showed me the inside of her TJ, where she had
taken out the back seats to make more room for all her stuff, including a bike. She also had racks for skis and bikes, etc. It was full of crap.
I laughed out loud at her, and said "You've turned your Wrangler into a Cherokee!"
I then learned that not only had she never been off road, but was one of many who had flipped her previous TJ over on a dry highway.
I shared the merits of a longer wheelbase.
She didn't get it.

A Jeep is an SUV (except for the FSJ's and MJs, and other obvious pickups that I may have forgotten). The Jeep badge is nothing special. Its a brand name. A brand name that has made some nice off-roaders throughout its history, but a brand name none the less. If we're talking about GP "jeeps" that's different. That jeep is an affectionate nickname given by GIs to the vehicle that slogged them through the battlefileds of WWII, much like Humvee or Hummer was a nickname given to the HMMWV. Now Hummer has also become a brand name. But its also still an SUV.

Back