• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why do some ppl beat their rigs so much?

xtrememtbiker85 said:
thank you. you read my mind only i do not live in an apartment yet, still at home while in college.

No worries. One thing I want to clarify, though: this doesn't mean that I'm taking a side on the point because I really don't see that there's a side to take. If my XJ didn't fit any of the conditions I laid out in my original post, I'd probably use it differently. What it really boils down to is that there's no particularly right or wrong way to use your XJ; it's just a matter of personal choice.

IntrepidXJ said:
see, that argument can be used by those of us who don't mind keeping a little damage. fix the door/fender/quarter or go wheeling again?

I probably should've been clearer about that - I was referring to mechanical damage, not so much body damage. If it gets some really ugly rock rash or similar I'll just go pull a panel at the junkyard and go have it painted whenever I get tired of looking at it. The main issue is not having anywhere to work on it means trying to avoid having a disabled vehicle taking up my parking space.

Last edited:
I know where everyone is coming from here. I am myself also a college student, who uses what money I have and make sparingly. But to me when it comes to using my money, as stated earlier by someone, I would rather use it on something that would help my jeep perform better rather than look better. Mine started out as a pretty little 98' white stock XJ, with no dents or dings. Well now I have rather "trimmed" fenders and some dents, 35's, LA's, etc and other "stuff". It will be becoming a full time trail rig within the next year and a half or so. Honestly my biggest dents have come from regular daily driving duties. To me being less worried about dents and keeping it shiney makes the trail more fun, since you don't always have it sitting in the back of your mind... "Ooooh ouch, that dents gonna hurt!" instead of "oops". Mine still is very straight body panel wise, but come this next summer, its not going to be. Wheeling the Claw Hammer I even further understand how much you really better not care so much about body damage to want to wheel much of any of the Hammers. I think for you to really understand this, you need to put yourself in others shoes, or ride with someone who has a buggy or buggified XJ. You will see first hand how much more fun, and maybe wreckless, it can be. :D Just my $.02...

i undersand what your saying. if i did not need the money to pay my dad i would be keeping my 94 xj for trail use only. unfortunatly that is not an option. i guess there are just more ppl that use their rig for trail than dd and trail. its cool

biker85

Don't take the wailing and gnashing of teeth here to say that everyone on naxja beats the snot out of their Cherokee. There's a lot of not-so-vocal people who haven't said anything that wheel their Jeeps but yet they still take the time to detail them out.

I fall somewhere in between. It gets wheeled (although not as often as I like) its gets cleaned, it gets vacuumed, every now and then I make a half assed attempt at detailing the engine. When I bought the XJ the drivers side front fender was dented up. I went wheelin' up at Calico and bashed in the passenger side rear rocker panel. Since then I have replaced the front fender. I fix what I feasible can and well, the rest adds character.

freerider15 said:
To me being less worried about dents and keeping it shiney makes the trail more fun, since you don't always have it sitting in the back of your mind... "Ooooh ouch, that dents gonna hurt!" instead of "oops".

Well said.

I think for you to really understand this, you need to put yourself in others shoes, or ride with someone who has a buggy or buggified XJ. You will see first hand how much more fun, and maybe wreckless, it can be. :D

Good recommendation.

If you choose to keep your rig looking nice, than that is your style. Nothing wrong with that. I tried that when I first got my wagoneer until I lost both mirrors, passenger door window, dents to the passenger side front door and front panel all in one outing. The wifey was pretty pissed but I looked at her and said it was all in fun and what could we have done to prevent it besides not wheeling at all.
She is getting used to the damage that comes on almost every wheeling trip now whether it is body or drivetrain. Shit, last night I laid the jeep up against a tree and did some bad door handle and body damage.
I just love the challege of getting through a very tough trail even if damage occurs.

Just keep wheeling:)

Kim.

I would love to have a nice looking rig.......I steer away from the tree's but sometimes I just really hate natures placement of that damn white oak tree or big limestone.

I regret every tree/rock/animal/buddy(jk) I have ever hit.......but I don't regret going down that trail.

It is your jeep.....do whatever yah want with it. At the end of the day you have to drive it home.

I like a nice jeep, I also like hard trails. My rig has been on its top, side and up against lots of rocks. I do body work and keep the sheetmetal straight and looking nice. I take a lot of crap about showing up at a run with a clean straight rig. I don't like to dent or scratch it, but it is a cost of doing business. There are trails that require taking a chance of body damage. Almost every trail at Moab is that way to one extent or another. Heck if it were a cake walk, there would be no adrenaline and no buzz. You need to come do some of the runs to see just how intense the trails we run are. Most people can't believe anyone would even try. Even some of the easier trails claim a couple of lives every couple of years. It is a challenge, like jumping out of an airplane or climbing a mountain.

old_man said:
Heck if it were a cake walk, there would be no adrenaline and no buzz.
SPOBI!

Upper:

is.php

Lower:

is.php

Ahem.....

is.php

I would love to send a pix of Okies jeep to his loan officer at the bank. :laugh3:

I always keep mine in the garage, when it's not takin' a trip to the mall...

100_2276.jpg

Anybody know what I can use to buff those dents out with...

The MJ just BEGS to be BEATEN... Thats Why!!

theres a few reasons i dont care about body damage-

-its not my daily driver any more
-there not alot of body left to damage
-its much more fun not worrying about the body on hard trails
-i can let anyone drive it and not worry about them denting it up
-it doesnt have a strait panel on it anymore so why bother?

Most of my dents come from street driving...backed into a stupid concrete barrier at U-Haul, had the tread off my original tires (original to me, not to the Jeep) separate and smack the front driver's fender up pretty good...I only have one dent from wheeling, that came from my first trip through a tight canyon. Landed on a rock with the corner of my bumper...

Okie Terry said:
SPOBI!

Upper:

is.php

Lower:

is.php

Ahem.....

is.php
:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:
I thought of the same thing when I read Old Man's post about "Cake Walk".

"Taking care" of your Jeep is relative. Some people worry themselves to death about keeping their vehicle(s) clean, shinny, and dent free ... but hardly ever check their oil. I'd venture to say that just about every dented up, beat up XJ, has had the oil checked, and most all other vital maintenance performed regularly.

Les

i would love to tackle that trail above. yea it wil prolly get dented but i will fix it when i get home. i understand the logic now.

Back