• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why do Some People Have more $ than Brains

RocksorMud90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know why people with alot of money think there smarter than they accually are ?

One of my buddys comes from a wealthy background and he Fried his D44 lastweekend ; He saw a puddle of diff fluid under his TJ and decided to take a 200mile trip to the beach (friggen idiot) heres the Damage Warped axle tubes, seised bearings, detriot locker is fubar, lots of heat stress on the R&P gears ............
Anyway He called me up and asked me where he could get a D60 so I told him where theres a Full Floater D60 that he can pick up for $175.... then he'll have to get it narrowed, geared, locked, and set up for his TJ for $2,000 ........ So $2175.oo for a Full FLoat D60 isnt too bad......

But he called me a moron cause he can get a "new" D60 from currie for $3,500 then the shop hes taking it to is gonna charge him $400 to install the axle so $3,900 ......... Im just trying to save him money He also bought new shocks and coils to install cause hes dropping down from 38's w/8in SJ to a 5.5in RE and 35's ..... The shop is charging him $500 to install the springs and shocks I told hime he can do that himself in a few hours and save $500

Lets do the Math: My way / His way

D60 : $2175.00 / $3900.00
Coils & shocks : $0.00 / $500.00
Total: $2175.oo / $4400.00

$4400.00
-$2175.00
------------
How Much I would Save him : $2225.00

Now if that was me my wallet would be $2225.00 fatter and thats more money for other mods......... But hey Im just a moron that knows how to save $

Last edited:
Maybe he does not have the time or inclination to do it himself? I called Currie when I needed a rear axle, simply, bolt it in and go. Took me a half hour...with brakes. When it is time for a front....I will again call Currie. Time is of FAR more vaule, then saving a few bucks. If you want to, or have to, do it yourself to save money...goody for you. Remember that not everyone enjoys crawling under the junk during thier spare time to do things that they can pay to have done. I don't even change my own oil anymore.

Rev

I can see your Point but I'm also a college guy thats had to pay for everything on my own...... That and my dad taught me how to work on cars with his Ol' 74 CJ5 so If Im able to do something myself I do it to save $.....
My g/f's parents always took their cars to the dealership for oil changes my g/f went with me to get my oil and filter and saw that it cost me less than 20 to do it myself and saw how simple it was now she changes her oil on her car ........ and i was con'd into doing her parents and sisters car now

If you're a broke college student, turn your inelegant knowledge to good use.

I make extra on the side doing brake jobs and oil changes for my friends and co-workers for half what they'd pay at a shop. They buy the beer and the parts, and I don't do drum brakes unless they're really good friends. (I can do 'em, but they're such a bitch compared to discs).

Side note:
Some people I've done this for are so giddy at having it done at home and not having to drop off a vehicle or wait for hours around the shop, plus they just see it as hanging out with a friend on a Friday afternoon, they've stuffed more cash into my hand than they'd have paid the shop, after paying for parts. I quit arguing about that long ago. They get offended sometimes. Silly humans.

BruteXJ said:
I agree with Rev, to an extent.

I still change my own oil. As far as my wife knows, it takes three friends, 2-3 hours and a case of beer(or more) to do it on a friday afternoon.

hell yeah...waiting for ALL the oil to drain can take a couple of hours easy ;)

RocksorMud90XJ said:
Does anyone know why people with alot of money think there smarter than they accually are ?
I see your point and the others who posted. I had a friend of mine here not to long ago that needed a brake job and an oil chnage done on his 99 F150. All disc to mind you, he called the dealership. They wanted close to $900 for both, and he was set on paying for it already! I told him no way, don't do it. Told him I would do for $100, or a buddy of mine would do it for a $100. He eventually had his cousin do it for $100. So yea, I see your point.

BruteXJ said:
I agree with Rev, to an extent.

I still change my own oil. As far as my wife knows, it takes three friends, 2-3 hours and a case of beer(or more) to do it on a friday afternoon.

Sometimes I will throw a jack under the rear (only thing you can see thru the garage door) and convince her that I rotated the tires as well (easy way to add some time and beer in... )

ludakris and brute, you guys are genious'

Want to make some seriously easy money on the side? Find a few Volvo owners (especially older models) and offer to do their brakes for $150.00, parts included. Also offer to make their brakes stop squealing. (ALL Volvo brakes squeal, they start doing it two miles from the factory door, and it can get seriously banshee-like.)

Volvo dealerships and most independent shops will gleefully empty your wallet for anything on a Volvo, most will tell you, "Volvo's squeal." The big secret is that Volvos are the most logically built vehicle on earth. (at least the old ones.)

Most Volvos got 4-wheel discs by the late '70s and you, read carefully, don't even have to remove the caliper. It takes longer to take the tire off than to remove the pads, which can be had at Advance for $20-30 for all four corners. Get the non-metallic pads, a little blue silicone on the backing, POOF! new brakes pads all the way around, which won't squeal....in about an hour.

(The "squeal" is caused by a combination of metallic dust on the rotor and pad, and a tendency for the pad to vibrate...that's where the blue silicone comes in. Just a dab will do ya. Don't want it in the piston, after all.)
Feel free to PM if you'd like some details, or want to help me change my oil.

Back