• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why am I such an ass?

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Why do I have to make eveything so complicated?

Why is nothing "good enough"?

Why does my rig have to be perfect, and not wheeling?

Why not just drive junk, and actually wheel, vs. missing a season of wheeling due to an unfinished rig?

Am I the only perfectionist dumb-ass out there?

You are not alone... unfortunately I am also a procrastinator so I never get anything finished and usually wind up wheeling as-is until too many things are broken and then do a major rebuild.

Hard one to put my finger on Andy.....the scope is way to wide.

There's a lot of us rowin' the same boat though....and now that my Accord tranny has pooped itself, $2K of my Jeep project stash O' cash will be blown on the must fix VS wanna build.......

CRASH said:

Why not just drive junk, and actually wheel, vs. missing a season of wheeling due to an unfinished rig?

Who said that you don't drive junk already? :flame:

I too am a procrastinator, but I will just wheel my junk as-is for the sake of having fun instead of wrenching on it.

While you were busy working on your junk I was..
standard.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I am not going to make it to Johnson Valley either. :)

Handlebars that was low! You like to turn the knife don't you? :scottm:

Now to hi-jack this thread.....If we get any snow this year are you up for some snow wheelin'?

Glen

CRASH said:

x2. :(

Don't switch platforms during the ultimate build either. Missing one season of wheeling would be a stroke of genius over here.

Blew the engine in the Impreza last night. So much for getting suspension under the Jeep before the snow flies.

As for being an ass, embrace your inner a55h013. When you don't give two fooks things are a lot less stressful.

I don't know about you, but Alex is certainly showing asshole tendancies in this thread :)

Andy, you are two years behind me. The kiddo will rule your world, but there will be light at the end of the tunnel and the rig will be awesome and a whole new stage of your wheeling career will start. Mine is just turning the corner after lieing dormant for a long time (4 years and 3 wheeling trips). I solved my tow rig problem in a BIG 3/4 ton way this week. :)

SeanP

Sean's right.....(really?)

You're merely experiencing the phenomenon most commonly known as "Priority Shift". When Nat and I bought our first house it was a fixer-upper and we had a 3 yr plan on turning it for big profit. We had no children at the time and I seemed to have time to not only remodel the home, but build on my Jeep, fab bumpers, perform tranny swaps, fab stuff for others......enter the scene, Mason.
Suddenly I was spending less time in the garage, less time on the remodel and more time with my new addition......gasp! A short 2 years later Kylee arrived and free time went from occasional to sneak in an hour here and there on home and Jeep projects. Oddly enough, things that seemed so important and at the top of my priority list pre-kids were now moved to over to the list of things I'd like to accomplish someday in the near future.

Fast forward 8 years. Mason's getting big enough to help me on project and loves to work with me on our new home and on the Jeep. Both kids love to get out on the trail and wheel and now it's become a family affair instead of dad's hobby.

Welcome to parenting Andy, cherish the time you have with you family and keep it a priority, the projects eventually get worked in......takes more time to get them done now, but the most important thing you can do is be there for your wife and kids. Before you know it, you'll be working on projects with a little Jeeper on a creeper next to you..........

What he said. For me it was two kids, losing job, changing jobs 2 times independent of the lay off, moving three times (last time to place without a garage).

Works out to ~7 years.

XJEEPER said:

You're merely experiencing the phenomenon most commonly known as "Priority Shift". When Nat and I bought our first house it was a fixer-upper and we had a 3 yr plan on turning it for big profit. We had no children at the time and I seemed to have time to not only remodel the home, but build on my Jeep, fab bumpers, perform tranny swaps, fab stuff for others......enter the scene, Mason.
Suddenly I was spending less time in the garage, less time on the remodel and more time with my new addition......gasp! A short 2 years later Kylee arrived and free time went from occasional to sneak in an hour here and there on home and Jeep projects. Oddly enough, things that seemed so important and at the top of my priority list pre-kids were now moved to over to the list of things I'd like to accomplish someday in the near future.

Fast forward 8 years. Mason's getting big enough to help me on project and loves to work with me on our new home and on the Jeep. Both kids love to get out on the trail and wheel and now it's become a family affair instead of dad's hobby.

Welcome to parenting Andy, cherish the time you have with you family and keep it a priority, the projects eventually get worked in......takes more time to get them done now, but the most important thing you can do is be there for your wife and kids. Before you know it, you'll be working on projects with a little Jeeper on a creeper next to you..........

Yep! great description of my life right there. It's all about prioritizing and getting rid of all the stuff you can.

Plus, andy, if what you told me on the phone this week about a new gig is true, you are about to lose 10 hours a week of commute time and gain more parts budget. Don't want to jinx you tho, so I'll keep the fingers crossed.

XJEEPER said:

well said...

kids make for less hobby time but more than make up for it in smile factor...

wouldn't trade an "I love you Dad" for all the jeeps in the world.

Gil BullyKatz said:

Haven't heard that since my kids turned into teenagers...:D

Gil BullyKatz said:
well said...

kids make for less hobby time but more than make up for it in smile factor...

:gasp:

Nothing sarcastic in a post from Gil?

:scared:

:D :D

Andy, I wouldn't say you're an ass all by itself. You are a dumb ass, a jack ass, and a smart ass all rolled into one.

Jes is on the right track, but I'm affraid that may take too much of your time. You need smaller projects that get completed fast and give you more personal satifaction. This site should fit you well http://www.marthastewart.com/ .

You guys have made fun of me for years about how I take forever to complete anything. I was just getting practice early. :D

Back